Meghan Everett balances two teams

Meghan Everett '12 started all 39 games for the softball team this spring, posting a .971 fielding percentage in the outfield.

"She's done a pretty good job of it," Fowler said. "Meghan's just the kind of kid that was really motivated coming out of high school."

Everett began playing softball when she was six years old and added field hockey to her repertoire when she was a freshman in high school. She credits her high school field hockey coach with inspiring her to play two varsity sports at the Division-I level.

"My field hockey coach decided to only play lacrosse in college and regretted not trying to play field hockey as well," Everett said. "She told me, You might as well try.'"

Everett's teammates and coaches said they are impressed by the dedication she has shown to both sports. Softball coach Rachel Hanson said that Everett always focused on the sport that was in season.

"She does a good job of being 100 percent committed to that sport," Hanson said.

Fowler said that playing two sports at Dartmouth is difficult with the academic rigors of an Ivy League school and Dartmouth's unique D-Plan. Everett was on campus every Fall, Winter and Spring term and took her sophomore summer off. With field hockey in the fall and softball in the spring, Everett was in season for the majority of every school year, which is one of her favorite aspects of playing two varsity sports, she said.

"It's kind of nice because I was always playing games," Everett said. "I never had that real offseason."

Fowler said that Everett thrives when she has a lot on her plate.

"She's just that kind of kid, in terms of motivation," Fowler said. "She has a high level of success when she's busy all the time."

Everett said that the hardest thing about playing two varsity sports was balancing two groups of teammates.

"Having friends and spending time with both teams when you're in the other season is the hardest part," she said.

Although her schedule means that she cannot spend as much time with her softball friends in the fall or her field hockey friends in the spring, Everett has had a lasting impact on both teams. Her coaches and teammates lauded her work ethic and willingness to do whatever it took to succeed.

"Meghan has a run through a wall if I asked her to' kind of work ethic," Fowler said. "If she doesn't have some sort of bloody mark or turf burn when she gets off the field, it's not a productive day to her."

Lisa Masini '13, one of Everett's field hockey teammates, also commended Everett's determination and said that many younger players look up to Everett because of her work ethic.

"She's one of the hardest workers on the field," Masini said. "I love playing with her because she will do whatever it takes. She's always the first one to dive."

Masini said that Everett's positive attitude rubbed off on all of her teammates, while Hanson added that Everett was a quiet and vocal presence on the softball team.

Everett was a crucial member of both teams during her time at Dartmouth, according to Fowler.

"She brought an element that you really can't teach you either have it or you don't," Fowler said. "Meghan was like a pitbull. She wasn't a finesse forward, but she hunted people down like she was on a mission. She was a kid that would do anything. You knew she was going to lay it on the line."

Everett said she will be sad to leave both the field hockey and softball teams next year.

"I'm going to miss the teams and the sense of family," Everett said. "Both teams are really like a family, and it's not necessarily the sport that I'll miss, but that feeling."

Masini said that her teammates feel the same way about the graduating senior.

"She's like a ray of sunshine," Masini said. "We're really going to miss her next year."