Women's lacrosse clinches historic victories

It was an emotional and adrenaline-packed weekend at Scully-Fahey Field, and with over 1,000 fans at each game, the team felt the support of the school and the community during the surreal wins.

"It's honestly just crazy," co-captain Greta Meyer '11 said.

The team felt confident and excited going into the game against Harvard, realizing exactly what was on the line, players said. Playing under the lights brought a certain electricity to the field, which charged up the team even more, co-captain Shannie MacKenzie '11 said.

"Because it was a night game there was a huge amount of energy," she said. "Plus, we'd been waiting all day to play, so it was a really exciting atmosphere."

Dartmouth brought intensity and passion right from the opening whistle, Meyer said.

"I think it was one of the best games we've ever played in terms of teamwork," she said. "Everyone had each other's back."

Less than two minutes into the game, the Big Green was already up 4-1, with goals from Meyer, Courtney Bennett '13, Hana Bowers '13 and Kat Collins '11 leading the way. The strong start gave the team a boost of momentum, which it was able to maintain for the entirety of the game.

Goaltender Kristen Giovaniello '14 exhibited her net dominance toward the end of the first half with three straight saves in a span of 50 seconds. Giovaniello totalled 13 saves for the game with a career-high five ground balls.

Harvard managed to score with 8:30 left in the first half, marking its only successful free position out of seven attempts.

Dartmouth did not let the goal go unopposed, and within two minutes the scoreboard recorded back-to-back goals by Bennett and Sarah Parks '12, who recorded her 100th career point.

Facing a 7-2 deficit, the Crimson dug deep and put in two goals around the five-minute mark. Still, Bowers ensured a solid 8-4-halftime lead by putting away an assist from Meyer before the whistle blew.

Although Harvard came out strong with the first goal of the second half, it merely prompted the Big Green to go on a 5-0 scoring run, with two goals by Collins and Meyer as well as one from Liz Calby '13.

When Harvard notched a goal at 14:59, making the score 13-6, Meyer responded immediately to maintain the seven-goal differential. Harvard managed one more goal before the game ended, but it was far too late in the contest for a comeback.

"It was an unbelievable feeling to know that we finally accomplished something we've been working for since we got to Dartmouth," MacKenzie said. "I felt a huge sense of accomplishment and pride in our team, our coaches and the women's lacrosse program."

MacKenzie said emotions ran high at the end of the game when Dartmouth was announced as the winner, with players hugging and crying on the field.

"I felt like all the hard work we've put in over the last few years had finally paid off," Dana Brisbane '12 said.

Meyer said that she, along with the rest of the seniors, had waited four years for that very moment.

"The past years have been really disappointing with tough losses, so I was just elated," she said.

The game marked head coach Amy Patton's ninth Ivy League Championship as well as her 100th League win in her 19 years as a lacrosse coach at Dartmouth.

The Big Green didn't have too long to bask in its championship glory, however, as it was slated to take on lacrosse powerhouse Maryland just 39 hours later on Senior Day.

Meyer said the team's mentality going into the Maryland game was the complete opposite of what it was going into the Harvard game.

"We were thinking that we had nothing to lose and everything to gain," she said.

The lack of pressure made for relaxed, natural and controlled play by Big Green players, who simply sought to prove themselves and to protect the home field on which they had been undefeated all season.

The Big Green again emerged victorious in an unexpected upset against the defending national champion that hadn't suffered a loss in over a year.

Dartmouth and the Terrapins played evenly in the first half of the game, exhibiting the exceptional prowess of two of the country's best lacrosse teams. The score was tied 2-2 with 14:30 until halftime, with the Big Green goals coming from Collins and Sarah Parks '12.

Dartmouth found a pocket of momentum towards the end of the first half and used it to score three goals from Collins, Parks and Bennett within three minutes. This gave the Big Green a 5-2 lead going into halftime.

Maryland stormed onto the field in the second half, ready to make up for its inferior first half. Two quick scores cut the deficit to 5-4, but Collins responded by connecting with a pass from Meyer.

Around the 25-minute mark, Maryland went off on a four-minute, three-goal run that gave it the lead. Collins came to the rescue with a tying Dartmouth score, but Maryland one-upped the Big Green once more with 12 minutes to play.

After two crucial saves from Giovaniello, Bowers capitalized on a free position and re-tied the game with 4:44 on the clock.

The Terrapins won the ensuing draw, bringing the ball to their offensive end. With time on its side, Maryland still could not penetrate the defensive effort led by Giovaniello, MacKenzie, Kelsey Johnson '13 and Hope McIntyre '11, whose unrelenting goal-guarding sent the game into overtime.

"The defense played absolutely lights out," Meyer said. "Maryland has one of the most prolific attacks in Division I lacrosse, and the fact that our defense held them to eight goals is incredible."

After the first scoreless three-minute period, Dartmouth took the field with a hunger that could only be satiated with a win. Hilary Smith '12 won possession for the Big Green, and the team held onto the ball for the next several minutes, before losing it with 14 seconds left. Sarah Plumb '12 won the ball back in a scramble near the arc and spotted Parks in front of the goal.

In one fluid motion, Parks caught the pass, faked high and shot low to score the winning goal.

Dartmouth won the final draw control to ensure that the remaining eight seconds were fruitless for the Terrapins.

Meyer said the excitement after beating Maryland was equal to the excitement after beating Harvard

"Beating the number one team when you're number 14 and in the Ivy League is amazing," she said. "Everybody was in shock."

MacKenzie highlighted the underclassmen as especially crucial to the win.

"The underclassmen stepped up so much and put their best effort forward for the seniors," she said. "I just felt so proud of the younger players, and there's a sense of belief now in our abilities."

The weekend gave the Big Green a great deal of confidence going into the Ivy League Tournament and, potentially, the NCAA tournament.

"We now know that we can play with, if not beat, any team in the country," Meyer said.

Despite the hugely successful weekend, the team is already looking forward to future matchups.

"This is not the end," Brisbane said. "We have so much more to accomplish, and the next challenge will be to take these wins in stride and still stay hungry."

MacKenzie said the immediate future holds a lot of promise for the team, although it will have to continue to practice and hone its skills.

"We definitely are confident and we know that we can do it, but every single game is going to be a battle," she said.

The Big Green will take on Harvard at the University of Pennsylvania on Friday at 4 p.m. in the semifinals of the League Tournament. If Dartmouth wins, it will play in the championship game on Sunday at 1p.m.