One on One

Over the weekend I sat down with Gediminas Bertasius '14, who was recently named Ivy League Rookie of the Week, and talked about the Big Green men's basketball team's evolution and his own transition to America from his native country of Lithuania. Bertasius played 17 minutes in Dartmouth's loss to Harvard University on Saturday, collecting six rebounds and scoring five points.

What were your thoughts when you found out you had been named Ivy League Rookie of the Week?

GB: It is always nice to be recognized and know that hard work in practices paid off. Awards like that motivate me to work even harder and try to get better every day.

You came to America just over a year ago, never having lived in an English speaking country before. How has the transition over the past 15 months been?

GB: First weeks in America were really difficult because of huge cultural differences, a different language and homesickness. However, after a while I got used to it. People from my prep school in Connecticut were very friendly. I constantly felt support from my family and it all helped a lot to adjust to the new life. During these months in America my English has improved significantly. I had a chance to get to know many wonderful people and also to learn how to live independently.

How would you rate the team's performance in the last week, at the beginning of the Ivy League season?

GB: It is definitely disappointing that we lost the Ivy League opener against Harvard this Saturday. All of the guys were really motivated, worked hard and wanted to win this game. However, there are still many games ahead of us. We need to learn from our mistakes, try to get better in practices and start preparing for the other games.

What has been the biggest adjustment you have had to make while transitioning from European to American basketball?

GB: Probably the biggest difference between European and American basketball is that in America, basketball is based more on individual player's actions, while in Europe, it's more about the team. Also, American players are generally more athletic so good physical condition is required all the time.

What made Dartmouth an appealing college to a Lithuanian basketball player?

GB: Dartmouth is an excellent place to combine the best education and Division I basketball. My parents always emphasized the importance of academics, and Dartmouth is one of the best schools all around the world. Also, I was really excited to have an opportunity to work with [head coach Paul Cormier]. Even before coming to Dartmouth I heard many good things about him and I knew that he would help to improve my game a lot.

What have the coaches preached to you guys in practice recently?

GB: Coaches constantly underscore the importance of working hard and improving our skill level. I think all of the guys are doing a great job on this. No matter if it's morning weight-lifting sessions or regular practice, guys are giving maximum effort. Also coaches put a big emphasis on playing as a team and forgetting all the individual agendas in the court. At this level it's really difficult to win unless you are playing as a team.

Do you have any long-term goals for your career as a Dartmouth basketball player?

GB: Probably as everybody else who is involved in the men's basketball program, my goal is to win the Ivy League Championship. As I already mentioned, all the guys are working really hard with a goal to win the Ivy conference and advance to the NCAA Tournament.

Has anyone on the team made it especially easy for you to transition?

GB: I am really thankful for all the coaches. They helped a lot and made my transition here easier. Also all the guys on the team were really friendly and were willing to help whenever I needed it.

What aspect of your game has improved the most since the start of your collegiate practices?

GB: Since the beginning of the practices I feel like I got much stronger and ready to face the intensity of college basketball. Also I improved my ball handling, post-up and driving to the basket skills. During the practices we are working a lot on our individual skill level and that really helps everybody to get much better.