Peisch, Fowler participate in NFHCA Senior Game

Virginia Peisch '11, co-captain of the Dartmouth women's field hockey team, played in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association Division I Senior Game at the University of Maryland on Saturday. Peisch was joined by her coach, Amy Fowler, who was also selected by the NFHCA to participate in the Senior Game as a coach.

Peisch was one of 38 seniors to be honored by the division's coaches at this year's Senior Game and one of just two Ivy League field hockey players. She competed against the U.S. Women's National Team and other College-level players in several 25-minute games. Peisch said that despite all of the talent playing on such a big stage, she was not worried about it and just wanted to have a good time.

"I just want to have fun and enjoy playing out there," she said before the game. "It's definitely going to be different because I'll be playing with people I've never played with before and in a system that I'm not used to. My expectations are not too high. I'm just excited to participate in a fun field hockey event. The NCAA field hockey finals will be there the same weekend, so it's going to be a great atmosphere, and I can't wait."

Peisch's team played three 25-minute games, going 1-1-1 for the day. Facing off against the other all-star team twice, Peisch's team won the first game, 2-1, and tied the second, 2-2. Her team also played the United States National Team and lost, 3-0.

After the experience, Peisch said that the games lived up to her expectations.

"I went into these games with the expectation of having fun and enjoying the sport," Peisch said. "Knowing that these games could potentially be my last, I just wanted to enjoy the experience. I was relatively happy with the way I played, although it was a bit challenging, as I had never played with any of the other girls on my team before."

Although she did not know any of her fellow teammates, Peisch said that having Fowler around was a comfort.

"It was great to have Coach Fowler at the game," Peisch said. "She knows my style of play and it was reassuring to hear her from the sideline. Another benefit was that she put me in the position I usually play. It was also great to have her at the award ceremony after the game. My family lives in Germany and could not attend the event, so it was nice to have someone there who I know well."

During her time with the Big Green, Peisch did much to build up her athletic resume. Over her 65-game career at Dartmouth, Peisch tallied 10 goals and 53 assists for a total of 73 points. Earlier this season, she earned the honor of being Dartmouth's all-time leader in assists and broke the record for the most assists in a single season.

Peisch garnered the respect of her teammates, having been elected a two-year captain her junior year. Despite her many personal accomplishments, Peisch said playing for a good program gives her the most pride.

"I'm most proud of the fact that we've had two consecutive winning seasons," Peisch said. "I think it reflects well on all of the work that we have put in as a team and how we were able to come together. We were able to stay focused and go after the same goals. Over the seasons we have had our ups and downs, but of all of the things in my career that I'm proud of, it would have to be this. It was great being able to end my time at Dartmouth with a winning season."

According to Peisch, it was her experiences and friendships at Dartmouth that have meant the most to her, even though she is honored to have been selected.

"This game did not mean as much to me as my last field hockey game with the Dartmouth team," Peisch said. "The All-Star game obviously did not count towards anything, and it was a bit of a challenge to play with people I had never played with before. Nevertheless, I was excited to be asked to play and enjoyed the experience. Playing a sport on a relatively competitive level has been a fantastic experience for me. I love working hard towards a goal with a group of other motivated athletes. In the process, I have made some really close friends. Training together, overcoming losses and enjoying victories just seems to allow for great friendships."

Fowler, the person who initially nominated Peisch for the senior game, noted that she has only good things to say about her captain's athletic ability. Peisch's leadership skills have been clear since her freshman year, evidenced by her peers' electing her to be captain two years in a row, Fowler said.

"She is a tremendous player," Fowler said. "She is fun to watch and a great stick handler. She may be the best player that Dartmouth has ever had and was a force to be reckoned with in the Ivy League. She is steady and dependable and is a threat all of the time, whether we have the ball or not."

Fowler also noted Peisch's leadership ability as one of her strongest assets.

"She sets an example for the rest of the team, especially by pulling up the underclassmen and taking the rookies under her wing," Fowler said. "She is able to lead our team by example."

In addition to her on-the-field abilities, Peisch has been honored for her off-the-field endeavors.

Last spring she was awarded with the Class of 1948 Award, which is given to the top male and female student-athlete at Dartmouth, according to Fowler. She also leads the different community service events in which all Dartmouth student-athletes participate.

"Off the field, she is just as impactful, maybe even more," Fowler said. "She does it all, just like she does on our team, and just as she has done since the moment that she stepped on campus."

As a senior, Peisch is now preparing for life after Dartmouth.

"I have a few ideas," she said. "I don't really know for sure what I'll be doing. I do know that field hockey will be part of my life. If I return to Europe, I can see myself playing in the club system, and if I stay in the U.S., I can see myself playing pickup and maybe even some coaching. Whatever it is, I definitely hope that field hockey continues to be a major part of my life."