Six women's tennis players compete in NE Regionals

10.27.10.sports.wtennis
10.27.10.sports.wtennis

Five other Big Green players Melissa Matsuoka '14, Georgiana Smyser '11, Sabrina Stewart '14, Rachel Decker-Sadowski '14 and Ryan Reichel '11 also competed in the tournament's main draw. Smyser and Stewart played in the round of 64, while Matsuoka made it to the round of 32.

"I think it was a really fun tournament for us," Scott said. "It was great to be able to host this tournament and see so many schools and their top players all at the same venue."

The tournament started on Friday, and concluded Tuesday.

In her first tournament since she suffered an ankle injury a month ago, No. 5 seed Scott defeated Marisela Aviles from Providence College in the first round 6-3, 6-0.

Later that day, Scott was matched up with the University of Buffalo's Diana Popescu. After dropping the first set 2-6, Scott had to save two match points in the second set to narrowly stay alive. She took the second set 7-5, and then cruised to victory in the third set by a score of 6-2.

In the round of 16, Scott easily defeated Boston College's Katherine Attwell 6-1, 6-2. Then, with a bit of luck, Scott received a bye from Harvard's Holly Cao to advance into the final four.

"Somehow it worked out that I got to the semifinals," Scott said. "I don't even know how that happened."

Playing in the semifinal against Hsu, Scott's injured ankle had become a major issue and she dropped the match 6-0, 6-0.

"[Hsu] is a great player," Scott said. "My ankle was definitely impairing my play, as I couldn't move as well."

Two Dartmouth freshmen also shone in the tournament.

Stewart upset Harvard's Hannah Morrill and Columbia's Tiana Takenaga in qualifiers to advance to the main draw.

Stewart continued her hot streak by defeating Cornell senior Sinzia Chis in the first round of the main draw. In her second round match, however, Stewart dropped the first set 7-5 before having to forfeit the match due to an injury.

"I'm really happy with the way I played considering I started the preseason on crutches," Stewart said. "It's great to be playing again."

Another Big Green rookie, Matsuoka, defeated Katherine Flanigan of Princeton in a tough three-set battle in the first round, then went on to beat No. 17 seed Lauren Bates from Binghamton. In the round of 32, Matsuoka lost to No. 8 seed, Brown's Bianca Aboubakare, 6-0, 6-0.

After receiving a bye in the first round, Dartmouth veteran Smyser lost to No. 12 seed Blair Seiderman from Yale 6-3, 6-1.

Decker-Sadwoski lost to Boston University's Monika Mical and Reichel was defeated in a three-set battle against Buffalo's Aleksandra Petrova in their respective first-round matches.

"You always wish you could win more matches, but everyone learned something in the tournament," Scott said.

In doubles, Scott joined forces with Matsuoka, playing in their second-ever tournament together.

After defeating teams from Columbia and the University of Rhode Island, the Big Green duo faced off against Alex Kelleher and Erina Kikuchi of Boston College. In a back-and-forth match, the Dartmouth pair saved three match points and went on to win the match 9-8.

The Big Green team next took on No. 2 seed Vicky Brook and Lindsay Clark in the quarterfinal, but could not hang on to a 6-4 a lead. They lost the last four games and dropped the match by a final score of 8-6. Brook and Clark went on to win the tournament.

"Every match we play together is a learning experience," Scott said. "I can't say enough good things about [Matsuoka], and we could be one of the best doubles teams in the Ivy League by the spring."

Dartmouth's next and final fall tournament will take place at home in two weeks. The Big Green will welcome Boston University, Ohio State University and University of Massachusetts for the Big Green Invitational.