Men's, women's golf play final tournament of the season

10.19.10.sports.golf
10.19.10.sports.golf

The men finished tied for fifth out of the 17 teams at The Classic at Shelter Harbor. Dartmouth's 295 (+9) during the final round tied the lowest score of the day and advanced the Big Green past three teams, including Ivy League rival Princeton University.

"The weather was a significant changing factor between the first day and the second," Teddy Overton '13 said. "The wind died down during the final round. This made the course easier for all the competitors, but it also allowed for the most consistent players, such as James Pleat, to take advantage of the phenomenal course conditions."

Pleat entered the final round trailing the University of Rhode Island's Taylor Fontaine, who at the time was in first place by three strokes. Pleat shot a one-under 70 to pass Fontaine by one stroke and entered a playoff with the University of Hartford's Matt Smith. Both finished the tournament tied for first with a score of 143, but Smith defeated Pleat in the playoff and earned the first place medalist honors.

In addition to tying Dartmouth for the lowest individual score of the tournament, Hartford finished the Classic at Shelter Harbor tied with Dartmouth for fifth place. Although Hartford initially led Dartmouth after the first round, the Big Green's day-two rally erased the gap between the two squads. Columbia University won the tournament, beating second place Harvard University by nine strokes and Dartmouth by 15 strokes.

Joe Maziar '14 posted the second best score of the tournament for the Big Green, finishing tied for 32nd with a 75-77 152(+10). The Dartmouth co-captain duo of Davis Mullany '11 and Peter Williamson '12 tied for 41st with scores of 154 (+12). Mullany improved his second day score by eight stokes, helping the Big Green advance in the tournament. Overton tied for 73rd with a score of 83-81 164 (+22).

The women also improved their score and standing during the second day of play at the Harvard Invitational. After a disappointing first round, the Big Green lowered its score by 26 strokes to shoot a 314 (+26), passing Columbia University for a sixth place finish in the seven team tournament.

"We had a team meeting the night after the first round, and we all felt pretty down, but we recognized that there were improvements to be made," Knapp said. "More importantly, we recognized that this was our last day of our fall season and that we wanted to end the season on a good and fun note. We wanted to show everyone what we worked on for months. Everyone realized this and went out the next day to play well and have fun."

Once again, Dartmouth's youth impressed the entire field of competitors. Knapp shot the second lowest score of the day and finished sixth overall with a 151 (+7) only three strokes behind first place finisher Seo Hee Moon. Yale University's Moon shot a six-under 66 and recorded an unofficial course record at The International Golf Course. Her record-setting second round included a hole-in-one and propelled Yale to a two-stroke victory over host Harvard.

Every Big Green golfer lowered her score by over three strokes the most notable being Heather Roland '12, who improved by 10 strokes on day two. Roland finished tied for 24th at 16-over par. Colleen Carroll '13 trimmed off seven strokes to finish in 26th place, while captain Katie Gulemi '11 and Julie Campbell '13 finishing tied for 31st. Kathleen Quirk '12 finished the tournament one stroke behind Gulemi and Campbell with a 172 (+28).

Knapp entered the tournament hot off her first victory of the season at the ECAC Championship at Twisted Dune Golf Club. Although Sacred Heart University won the team title, Knapp led all competitors by three strokes and earned medalist honors. Dartmouth finished third at the tournament, 11 strokes off of first place.

"The win was really unexpected," Knapp said. "I played well during preseason, but adjusting to playing collegiate golf has not been easy. It feels good to have the affirmation that I can succeed at the higher level. Competing at the college level involves a lot more pride because you're competing for the whole school, as opposed to a high school that doesn't really have an identity. The girls are a lot more serious than in high school."

Knapp and the other golfers faced off against swirling winds and standing pools of water left over from torrential downpours, until the tournament ended early without playing the final round.

Both the men and women's golf teams are finished with play until the spring. Although the Hanover winters do not traditionally allow much golf training, many players said they will hone their skills in the new golf facility located inside of the Leverone Field house.