Men's soccer wins one and drops one in Dartmouth Classic

09.14.10.sports.Msoccer
09.14.10.sports.Msoccer

Teo Larsson-Sax '13 was the hero for Dartmouth on Friday as his two goals gave Dartmouth its second consecutive win in 2010. The Big Green dominated for long periods late in the game, however, the score remained tied at 1-1 at the end of regulation.

With just seven minutes to play in extra-time, its play was rewarded as Larsson-Sax emerged from a scramble in the box to head in the game-winner, his second of the contest. As was the case with his first, Larsson-Sax was able to head the ball in off a corner from co-captain Andrew Olsen '11.

"As a center defender, you never expect to score many goals, but when you do, it just makes you feel even better," Larsson-Sax said.

Larsson-Sax was also impressive on defense, helping to contain the Toreros' Patrick Wallen, a fellow Swede and last year's WCC Freshman of the Year. Though Wallen put San Diego on the board after just four minutes, the Dartmouth defense did a good job containing him for the rest of the game.

Head coach Jeff Cook praised his centerback's play on Friday.

"Teo is more confident this year," Cook said. "He's coming into his own."

The Toreros got on the board early, as Wallen latched on to a pass from Stephen Posa before sending it past a diving Sean Donovan '13 from the top of the box.

"[Wallen] just reacted more quickly than our centerbacks," Cook said.

Dartmouth responded 13 minutes later, as Olsen found Larsson-Sax unmarked in the box off a corner.

The Big Green was the stronger team in the second half, as the Toreros seemed content to sit back and defend, playing for a tie. Jet lag from a 3,000-mile journey to Hanover may have been a culprit, Olsen said.

"We felt like a tie would have felt like a win to them," he said.

The senior was in fine form on Friday, notching two assists and attacking well on the left wing.

"[Olsen] combines natural ability with an excellent workrate," Cook said.

As the teams began extra-time, Dartmouth continued its assault on the San Diego goal. Finally, after 102 minutes of play, Larsson-Sax put the Big Green on top for good.

Following the goal, the Dartmouth bench players sprinted across the field to join their teammates in celebration in front of the Burnham Field student section.

In the 30th minute, co-captain Daniel Keat '10 suffered a rib injury, ending his tournament. He went for x-rays after the game and will be out of action for one to two weeks.

The Big Green was not able to repeat its success two days later, as the team fell to Stony Brook.

"We played a long game on Friday," Cook said. "It's tough when you lose a player."

Stony Brook played physically throughout, piling up six yellow cards, but it was Dartmouth that played the majority of the game with 10 men.

As a last-ditch challenge on Stony Brook's Raphael Abreu in the 23rd minute, Nick Pappas '12 may have saved a goal, but ended up costing the Big Green a man when he was dealt a yellow card. Pappas had been booked earlier in the game.

Pappas was the second Dartmouth defender to head to the sidelines, as Larsson-Sax went down with a quad injury after just 15 minutes. At the 33 minute mark, the losses came back to haunt the Big Green, as Berian Gobeil beat substitute Michael Donelan '12 for a diving header following a strong run and cross from Kyle Schlesinger.

"It was a super cross in," Cook said. "Sometimes you just need to contain, and we didn't do a good job of that."

Dartmouth battled back and had several good chances, but the Big Green was unable to find the net. Maarten van Ess '12 was close in the 62nd minute, but his header off of a throw in by Walker Linares '11 went just wide. In the last 10 minutes, Patrick Murray '14 also sent two headers just inches outside the post.

"I'm really proud of the way the guys competed in the second half," Cook said. "But I'm frustrated that we didn't make one of those [chances] count."

Dartmouth returns to action on Friday as it travels to Peoria, Ill., for The Hotels at Grand Prairie Classic. The Big Green square off against host Bradley University on Friday, followed by Creighton University on Sunday.