The DDS Detective

05.07.10.Mirror.DDSdetective
05.07.10.Mirror.DDSdetective

Unfortunately, one day in class, Mr. Thomson announced that he was leaving the teaching profession to pursue what he called his most brilliant business venture yet creating a snow cone company called "Chuggy Bears," in which each cone had a gummy bear hidden in the center (I swear I'm not making this up). His departure was tough for me to handle. I really enjoyed being taught by him, and I thought he enjoyed teaching me. How could he choose flavored, crushed ice over my wide-eyed curiosity and passion for learning? But then about a year later, on a particularly hot Texas summer afternoon, I happened to see a Chuggy Bears stand outside my local Home Depot. I decided to pick up a snow cone to figure out for myself why it had won out over me in the end. It was so simple: ice, syrup and a gummy bear yet it was one of the most satisfying treats I had eaten all summer. The smooth texture, the tangy flavor of the syrup and the chewy gummy bear it all, just, worked. So Mr. Thomson, while I don't know that I will ever be able to fully forgive you for leaving so abruptly, I have to admit, you make a darn good snow cone and that's what this week's recipe is all about: 1.In the Collis smoothie bar, ask for some of the crushed ice to be blended a little further so it's nice and smooth and put in a small soup cup. 2.Get juice (any kind EXCEPT Hi-C Poppin' Pink Lemonade, that stuff is akin to taking a straight-up shot of high-fructose corn syrup) and add a few packets of sugar to it.3.Pour the juice over the crushed iceGrab a snow cone, go lay out on the Green and forget about all the work you have to do. A snow cone is meant to be enjoyed with plenty of sunshine, not statistics problem sets.