Briefly Noted

Republican R. Nelson "Oz" Griebel '71, a Big Green pitcher from 1969-1971, announced his intention to run for the governorship of Connecticut on Thursday, Courant.com reported. Griebel, the president and CEO of MetroHartford Alliance an economic development organization posted a .833 winning percentage and is second on the all-time Big Green list in that statistic. He was a member of the 1970 Ivy League champion baseball squad that made it to the College World Series. Griebel was a multi-sport athlete, also playing as a guard on the Dartmouth football team during his sophomore year. As a Dartmouth legacy, Griebel was born with ties to the Big Green sports community his father, Richard Griebel '46, was a member of the Big Green men's basketball and football teams. This is Oz Griebel's first attempt at running for a public office, and his platform will center on alleviating the state's budget problems, according to Courant.com.

Frank Keefe, the longtime head coach of Yale University's men's and women's swimming and diving teams, announced that he will retire at the end of this season, the Yale Daily News reported. During his 32-year tenure, Keefe coached the Bulldogs to 475 wins and will leave the school as the program's all-time winningest coach. Keefe was known for his emphasis on swimmers being complete student-athletes, according to the Daily News. To Keefe's credit, the Yale swim team has a 100 percent graduation rate and currently averages a 3.6 grade point average. In addition, the women's swim team was ranked as the No. 1 Division I Academic All-American women's swimming program in 2008. Keefe was also an assistant coach of the U.S. Olympic swim team in 1984 and head manager for the team in 1988.

Kent Austin was named the 26th head coach of Cornell University's football team at a press conference last Saturday, IvyLeagueSports.com reported. Austin has spent the last two years as the offensive coordinator at the University of Mississippi, a perennial football powerhouse. The season before Austin's arrival, Mississippi had a season record of 3-8 and went without a win in the Southeastern Conference. Austin revitalized the Ole Miss offense and helped the Rebels go 18-8 and win two consecutive Cotton Bowls in his two seasons at the school. Austin takes over for Jim Knowles, who resigned earlier this month to become defensive coordinator at Duke University, according to IvyLeagueSports.com. Cornell (2-8, 1-6 Ivy) finished last in the Ivy League last season.