Travels to Lands Near and Nearer: Boston

Many of us Dartmouth students, especially those non-New Englanders, view Boston as a means of getting to Hanover. It's a pit-stop, a layover. We've been to Boston plenty of times, but our "visit" only seems to consist of the ten steps it takes to walk from the doors of Boston Logan to the Dartmouth Coach. But, as one of the easiest cities to get to from Hanover, Beantown is the perfect location for a quick weekend getaway in order to take advantage of all the great sights the historical city has to offer. There are almost as many places to see as there are grains of sand at Homeplate beach night, but here's a rundown of some of the basics.

The must-do for any Boston tourist is a walk on Freedom Trail. The trail runs 2.5 miles, can be picked up from several different points and will take you to important sites in the city's history like Benjamin Franklin's house, the location of the Boston Massacre and the house of Paul Revere.

Another great place to walk around is the Boston Public Garden. Not only does the garden afford beautiful views of the surrounding flora and fauna, but you can also take a short cruise on a swan boat. Also for nature lovers there is the Arnold Arboretum, which boasts 265 acres of gorgeous landscapes. As an added bonus, it is open 365 days a year and admission is free.

In terms of museums, Boston offers something for everyone. The Museum of Science includes more than 400 interactive exhibits, according to the museum's web site including the largest "lightning machine" in the world and the famous Mugar Omni Imax Theater and Charles Hayden Planetarium. For art lovers, the Museum of Fine Arts houses an impressive collection of international and contemporary art. They also offer several free days for the public and free admission on birthdays.

For food, both the North End, or Little Italy, and Chinatown offer authentic and affordable fare in a charming setting. In the North End, locals recommend Mamma Maria, whose signature butternut squash ravioli has fans across the country. In Chinatown, New Shanghai never fails to delight, with its spicy Szechuan cuisine and alternating daily specials that underscore the head chef's skills. Of course, the crme de la crme of Boston cuisine, if you can score a reservation, is Legal Seafood. While the food can be pricey, this restaurant ain't your local Joe's Crab Shack. Legal's offers the freshest seafood in town and supposedly the best clam chowder you will ever taste.

Boston also offers a great shopping and street scene. Newbury Street has both upscale, name-brand stores and eclectic vintage shops. Faneuil Hall Marketplace, as part of the Freedom Trail, features a plethora of sidewalk performers, an open-air produce market and various shops. Last, you can spend some time sitting in Harvard Square to take in the energy, performances and the esteemed Harvard University bookstore, which often hosts well-known authors for lectures and book signings.

To top off your day, the Bunker Hill Monument boasts one of the best views of the Boston skyline and serves as a perfect spot to relax and watch the sunset.