Threads: Unraveling Style

Next time you walk to class, play a little game of "I Spy" and see how many Longchamp bags you can spot. They're everywhere and with good reason: the bags are functional, durable and perfect for school. Sound familiar? Longchamp's "Le Pliage" bag is the young woman's equivalent to the L.L. Bean backpack of her middle school days; they both are vinyl, have vast color choices, size variations and monogramming options that combine to create versatile vessels.The "Le Pliage" style offers several options for users to expand their collection with make-up bags, backpacks and purses, as does L.L. Bean's backpack, though L.L. Bean's item description trumps Longchamp's any day, reminding the buyer to "fill the main compartment with school supplies or toys. Front pockets feature a key clip, an organizer panel and a place for lunch money or small treasures." Longchamp bags were originally designed to carry small treasures, too; or at least, to serve as smokers' accessories.The Longchamp brand has come a long way since its founding in 1948 by Jean Cassegrain. The son of a tobacconist, Cassegrain ventured into the luxury goods market by crafting leather coverings for pipes and cigarette cases. He named the company Longchamp because the name "Cassegrain" was already being used commercially by one of his cousins. The word "cassegrain" in French means miller, so Cassegrain, upon reflection, associated the name with one of the last Parisian mills the one at the Longchamp race course. The world of horse racing is inherently linked to fine saddle and leather work, so the name seemed natural to use for the company. Cassegrain began selling more smokers' accessories, including bags and luggage, which contributed to the company's growth over the past 60 years.Longchamp has become a luxury goods giant that boasts Kate Moss and Sasha Pivovarova as its high-fashion faces, with guest designer Jeremy Scott recently putting out a collection called "Bones." Moss has even designed for Longchamp as part of an attempt to change its buying population into one that seeks out high fashion in everyday life. Longchamp is still family owned, with the founder's son, Philippe Cassegrain, acting as company president.The ubiquitous Longchamp "Le Pliage" bag was issued in the U.S. under Philippe Cassegrain's leadership in 1994 as a functional and practical product. When the company's Madison Avenue boutique opened in 1999, it became hugely popular among city dwellers as a classy French tote that could carry any and all daily essentials. As elegant as its French name sounds, the term translates to English as "folding," indicating the bag's physical versatility, as it is initially sold folded in a tiny square and snapped shut to appear like a miniature purse.
Longchamp made the designer nylon trend, seen often in Prada and Tod's bags, more affordable. With large totes costing around $155, the bags are somewhat expensive but are so functional, demure and timeless that anyone who buys one will get their money's worth. And by the way, unlike a lot of luxury brands, they do have sales twice a year.