Despite solid diving performance, Big Green drops two meets

01.13.10.sports.swimming
01.13.10.sports.swimming

The women's diving team, however, had one of the best weekends of the season thus far, with Erica Serpico '12, Kate O'Brien '13 and Kathleen Brady '10 taking the top three spots, respectively, in the one-meter and three-meter diving events against the Catamounts (8-4, 2-3 America East). On Sunday, Serpico once again won both diving events, setting a new pool record in the one-meter dive with 296.29 points.

"We worked really hard on the training trip and it definitely paid off this weekend," O'Brien said. "Our diving's much stronger and that showed in our results."

The women's team also posted four swimming victories against Vermont on Saturday. Charlotte Williams '13 earned her first collegiate victory in the 100-yard breaststroke, which she swam in 1:10.37.

Isa Guardalabene '13, Caitlin Foley '13, Caitlin Nicholson '12 and Maddie Steiner '11 also picked up a win, taking the 400-yard free-style relay in 3:39.04.

Virginia Selden '11 took first in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:10.76, and Nicholson won the 100-yard butterfly, missing her lifetime record by four-tenths of a second.

"We saw a lot of races come together for the first time," co-captain Catherine Armstrong '10 said. "It was the best meet we've had all season."

Co-captain Carolyn Rippe '10 added that the team's positive attitude built momentum for Sunday's meet against BU (7-0), where the women's focus was to finish out close races.

Men's co-captain Scott Sorensen '10 said that he would like the freshmen to work on finding their best events.

On the Dartmouth men's (10-5, 0-3 Ivy) side, Mickey Ahern '12 won the 200-yard backstroke in 1:55.63 against the Terriers (5-2) while Mikey Brown '11 took first place in the three-meter dive.

The freshmen also continued to show their dominance, with Onejune Chang '13 winning the 100-yard free-style in 47.26. Albert Roth '13 placed first in both the 200-yard IM in 1:54.82 and the 200-yard butterfly in 1:54.38, beating the second-place finisher in the latter event by a full six seconds.

Head coach Jim Wilson said that he is pleased with Roth's performance so far this season, adding that Roth continues to improve even without competition to push him.

Sorensen added that after a slow start, the men's team shone in the second half of the meet.

For the women, rookie Williams again earned a win for the Big Green in the 1,000-yard free-style with a time of 10:44.37, the first distance victory for the women's team this season. Galen Barry '12 also posted a strong performance, winning the 200-yard backstroke in 2:10.20.

"We saw [a few athletes] performing well in some areas where they haven't competed before," Armstrong said. "We saw a lot of people either drop time or place higher than they had in the past, and we had a lot of positive energy throughout the meet."

Next week, the men's and women's swimming and diving teams face off against Yale University and the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

"Both of those teams are strong, and they beat us last year at Ivies," Wilson said. "It would be nice if we could beat them, but it would be an upset."

Despite being the underdog, Sorensen said that he is optimistic about the team's chances.

"Everyone was pretty excited with how they swam today," he said. "That will give us some great momentum until next weekend."