A USER'S GUIDE: Tech tips for the over-scheduled and organizationally challenged

Considering that I asked for an extension for this article and that my experience with technology involves watching a fan slowly dry out an entire cup's worth of coffee spilled into a rental computer (who knows what was wrong with my regular one), I am probably not the most organized or the most tech savvy student on campus. But for those of us who have trouble remembering what day it is, let alone what classes or meetings we have attend or what time that paper is due, trying to keep some level of organization is that much more important.

Because you're probably attached to your computer at all times (I know that's not just me), it's probably the best way to keep yourself organized. Some people may prefer to use hand-written planners, but who can ever remember to write anything down in those things, let alone carry them around? Other students on campus use their Blackberries, iPhones or other convenient handheld gadgets to handle their schedules. You guys can just Google organization tips on your phone or download an application while reading what the rest of us are going through. No sympathy for you.

For the rest of us simple folk, let's start with the basics: iCal. PC users, you can skip ahead a few paragraphs while lamenting your lack of such a helpful application. Though I've never used any other calendar program and therefore have no means of comparison, I do not hesitate to declare iCal to be amazing. It reminds me where my classes are held, what time I have work this week and who I am eating lunch with tomorrow. You can make all the jokes you want about Dartmouth students overbooking themselves, but the deed is done; iCal at least helps us deal with it.

Before I used iCal or any calendar really I used to read blitzes about events, lunches, lectures and movie screenings and make well-intentioned plans to go before inevitably forgetting completely and spending another day hanging around in a friend's room.

Even though I still don't go to all the events I mark down, at least they are on my calendar in case I do have time to attend them. Now that I'm able to keep track of all of the events that involve free Panera lunches or shortcake from Lou's, I've managed to save a little DBA. If only there were events with free sushi from Late Night Collis, then my calendar would really pay off.

Another important area where you should exercise organization is your computer files. You could just forget about naming files and rely on search to find you what you need, but that's no way to live. Plus, creating folders and moving around documents is the perfect activity during the slow parts of class it's discrete, productive and marginally entertaining. You can even color-code the labels or change your desktop locations to cute icons. You may have known that for years, but I, of course, discovered it last week.

When you need to collaborate and coordinate with other people, Google Documents is the handy, free way to go. It is helpful if you're running a large club, checking Internet frequently on computers other than your own or even trying to maintain a long-distance relationship. Those are three things that I'm not in the habit of doing, but I hear from other people that Google Docs works well for all of them.

While iCal and Google calendar both help to keep me organized in the long run, I admit I rely on Stickies on a day-to-day basis. I have at least four "to-do" Stickies open at all times, along with lists of things that I'd like to do in the future (to watch, to read, etc.). These are generally things that I almost never get around to doing, but when I do, oh man. It feels good. Computerized sticky notes are also generally useful for recording lists of errands, school work and shopping lists.

If you're really old school or have a paranoid fear that technology has become too smart for its own good, just remember to avoid the string-on-finger method you'll forget what you were supposed to be remembering in the first place. If all else fails, write on your hand instead.