Destination Hanover: The Mirror's Guide to Spring

The Mirror: Spring Fever
The Mirror: Spring Fever

DINING

While budget cuts have not yet permanently closed any dining facilities, the cuisine of choice this Spring term is grilling, grilling and more grilling. Whether veggie burgers, marinated steaks or buffalo chicken breasts have your heart, spend your term following the scent of the BBQ. This is especially relevant for seniors, who are cruelly prohibited from going negative on DBA -- which means that free food and underclassmen with excess DBA suddenly increase in social capital, at least for the sake of satiety.

Beyond the BBQ's term of fame, planning a picnic is a great way to impress your significant other, or just enjoy the sunshine. Throw some to-go containers with the Food Court special in your backpack, take along an old beach towel to serve as a picnic blanket and you're set. A few beverages will really seal the deal.

ATTRACTIONS

The Green: It may not seem logical that a rectangular space of grass serves as a major spring attraction, but once the mud disappears, the Green usurps First Floor Berry as the facetime Mecca of Dartmouth. Popular for tanning, lunching, studying, people-watching and Frisbee-throwing in the daytime, as well as streaking and fornicating at night, it's the hot spot for all the spring action. Be sure to catch the annual Pow-wow -- it's a great opportunity to come out and watch the festivities.

The River: Beyond the kayaks and canoes up for rent, the river provides an opportunity to swim, rope swing and attempt the Ledyard Challenge. The official swimming dock won't be up until summer, but that doesn't stop students from jumping in elsewhere when the temperatures start to soar in May.

Beach Volleyball/Golf/Tennis/Pine Park: If Winter term left you bored with the treadmill and squash courts, spring provides a wide array of other outdoor activities. Golfing at the Hanover Country Club next to Occom Pond is a popular choice, and both outdoor clay and hard tennis courts offer many opportunities to play tennis for those not willing to cough up the $3 to play at the Boss Tennis Center during the winter. Make friends with freshmen by playing beach volleyball at the Choates, or go for a scenic jog in Pine Park. If physical activity isn't your strong suit, simply grab a coffee at Dirt Cowboy and actually enjoy the sunny stroll down Main Street. Staying active will help compensate for the Collis baked goods you devoured to keep you warm during the winter months. It's a lot harder to camouflage without a parka.

Outdoor Entertainment: In the past, movies have been screened outside, and at the very least, Green Key weekends means that multiple bands will be on campus and set up outdoors to entertain. If you don't think you'll be able to truly appreciate the live music amidst the Green Key festivities that take place indoors on Friday and Saturday night, the steps of Robo are frequently home to guitar-strumming DOC-ers.

Nightlife: Nightlife is relatively unchanged in Hanover for springtime, despite the the noticeable absence in lost jacket blitzes come May. With flip-flops coming out in full force, however, sporting sandals in the basement might be a less-than-advisable idea, unless podiatric hygiene is simply not a concern. Outdoor pong becomes a popular afternoon activity to wind down after a day of classes or to prepare for a night out, and the Dartmouth Seven locations situated outdoors become much more feasible, if that happens to be one of your college aspirations.

OFF-CAMPUS EXPEDITIONS

Hampton Beach: Particularly if spring break didn't lead to a tropical paradise, make the most of it by heading to Hampton Beach, New Hampshire. Take the top off the Wrangler, pile in and be prepared for a crowd. A two-hour drive from Hanover, it's a great day trip for a sunny day in May when thoughts of Baker-Berry invoke an involuntary gag reflex.

Woodstock and Quechee: The ultimate opportunity to play "grown-up" is just a half an hour drive from campus. Take a stroll in the picturesque town of Woodstock, Vt., then head to Simon Pearce in the adjacent town of Quechee to watch glass blowing and settle in for a beautiful -- albeit pricey -- meal overlooking the water as the sun sets.

Rumney/Tuckermans/Cardigan/Fire tower: Country club sports don't cut it for everyone, so Spring term also offers a host of opportunity for less WASP-y outdoor pursuits. At the start of the term, strap a pair of skis to your backpack and head to Tuckerman's at Mt. Washington for some spring skiing. If there's ever a time to whip out the bikini on the slopes, this is it. If climbing gives you more thrills then carving, Rumney has a ton of climbs for everyone, with a number of beginner trips offered -- complete with equipment and instruction -- by the Dartmouth Mountaineering Club throughout the term. Mt. Cardigan is an easy hike that leads to a great view from the summit, while a sunrike (sunrise-hike) to the Gile Fire tower is doable for even the most novice hiker, as long as you can stand to wake up early.

Golf & Ice Cream: If the difference between a three-wood and sand wedge baffles you, or you need to start up your season with a few hours fixing that nasty slice, Fore-U Golf Center has a mini-putt and driving range conveniently located in West Lebanon, N.H. Even more convenient, immediately adjacent to the golf course is the always-popular Ice-Cream-Fore-U -- worth a trip to town in and of itself. Closed during the winter months, this ice cream stand serves very generous proportions, so a small size may be more than enough to satisfy your cravings.

Cabin Party: The DOC owns a slew of rentable cabins. Whether you want to drive to Hinman to stay by the lake, hike up to Nunnemacher on the Skiway or take a slightly longer expedition up to the Grant, bring some beers, burgers and sleeping bags and you're all set. The newly built Class of '66 Lodge on the slopes of Moose Mountain is arguably a nicer accommodation than many dorms and most off-campus housing in Hanover. If your fondest memories of trips are of the Lodge, and not the camping leading up to it, head up to Moosilauke for dinner -- and an overnight if you want -- during the latter part of the term.

TRANSPORTATION

Whether you fall into the Rainbows or Havaianas camp, sporting exclusively flip-flops to stroll across campus is the transportation mode of choice for the majority of Hanover co-eds. Add a sprinkling of bikes and longboards to the mix, and you've pretty much got the population covered. Why not use the balmy temperatures to experiment with more creative modes of transportation?

Rickshaw: With either a biking or running version, depending on your fitness level, the rickshaw is the solution to the inescapable parking ticket problems plaguing vehicle owners in the 03755. Become the most popular student on campus by shuttling your friends from West Wheelock back to the River dorms, or charge DASH and make a few extra bucks. Popularity, cash and a great workout -- what more could you ask for?

Electric Scooter: For those less ambitious (read: lazy), invest in an electric scooter. It may be perilous during the muddy month of April, but it will save you time, energy and maybe catch the eye of that special someone as your hair flows in the wind once the Green becomes maneuverable.

Kayaks & Canoes: Ledyard's contribution to the transportation front may not succeed in transporting you to many destinations on campus, but it's a great spring activity to see the sights along the Connecticut River. Rent a canoe for a night at Gilman, a swing on the rope swing or a "Notebook"-esque romantic paddle. If you're an '09, it's time to partake in the annual Seniors to the Sea trip. Despite the depressing reality that it takes you from your cozy home in Hanover to the daunting sea out in the real world (mirroring a certain upcoming and not-to-be-mentioned June ceremony), it's rumored to be a great time.

ACCOMMODATIONS

No travel guide is complete without an overview of accommodation options, though the majority of students have hopefully secured a bed (futon, or floor) on which to crash for the duration of the term. Nevertheless, if your budget is too tight for accommodations, and summer job prospects remain slim, or you happen to be viciously sexiled by your roomie and his newest spring fling, try pitching a tent on the Green. Modern-day shantytowns are popping up everywhere thanks to the recession, so why not join the trend? If Safety and Security is less-than-enthused about your impromptu settlement, try the BEMA. It's remote, yet conveniently located near the showers of Ripley-Woodward-Smith, so you can keep up your hygiene.

Whether outdoor pong, scenic hiking or simply the return of daylight after 5 p.m. gets you psyched about Spring term, take advantage of the term, even if that manifests itself as obscene amounts of time committed to sprawling on The Green basking in sunshine. Classes are still a reality, but should be conveniently scheduled as not to interfere with any of your big plans " leaving the sun to go to a 2A in May is just not a realistic goal for most people, so come to terms with that when finalizing your class schedule.