Health Services warns of weekend dangers, excess

The large crowds and chaotic events of Homecoming weekend combined with excess drinking, make it important for students and visitors to be cautious during their weekend celebrations, according to Mark Reed, director of counseling and health resources at Dick's House.

During Homecoming, which along with Winter Carnival and Green Key make up the three "big" weekends of the year, there are significantly more Good Samaritans called into Safety and Security, Reed added.

"Whereas there will be about five reports on average on a normal weekend, we will see between 12 and 20 reports, on average, over a big weekend," Reed said. "Students who pre-game are most at risk later in the night, so set a limit and stick to it. Stay with the group you begin the night with and be an active bystander, looking out for those in your group and those around you."

Dartmouth prides itself on being a caring community, and on weekends like this it is more important to watch out for each other, Reed said, adding that students should be especially wary of drinks with unknown alcoholic content.

Because the weekend is a popular time for Dartmouth graduates and visitors from outside the Dartmouth community, there will be many more people out celebrating this weekend. To manage the crowd, there will be an increased number of Safety and Security officers patrolling the campus, according to Harry Kinne, director of Safety and Security and College Proctor.

"We want people to have a fun time, but also a safe time," he said.

Sexual assault is often a byproduct of the alcohol consumption characteristic of Homecoming weekend, Reed said. Although numbers are hard to determine, it is important for students to remember that assault can often be avoided if they are aware of those around them and if students keep an eye out for their peers.

"There is an increased correlation between alcohol consumption and sexual assault in clinically significant numbers, though it is harder to tell exact numbers with assault cases," Reed said. "It is never any one person's fault [when someone] gets assaulted. No one ever deserves it, no matter what the situation."

Michelle de Sousa, Dartmouth's Sexual Abuse Awareness Program coordinator was unavailable for comment.

While it is important for students to look out for one another over Homecoming weekend, Kinne said, every weekend is important.

"Don't think of Homecoming as the only time to take preventative measures and be aware of your limits and those around you," he said. "Dartmouth students take care of each other. That should carry over to any and every weekend."

Dartmouth students' close camaraderie is a significant part of Homecoming weekend, according to Brian Bowden, coordinator of the alcohol and other drugs education program at Dick's House.

The culture of upperclassmen encouraging freshmen to drink and have a good time, however, can put many at risk for over-consumption.

Drinking excessively on just one night can have extended effects beyond the next morning, he said.

"Studies show that if someone is excessively drinking to the point that their Blood Alcohol Content reaches a .1 or above, it can affect their abstract thinking skills for up to 30 days," Bowden said. "Their writing skills, artistic skills, athletic skills " they will not perform up to their full potential for up to a month."