Young '08 headlines All-Ivy baseball selections

Russell Young '08 compiled a 3.16 earned run average and 27 strikeouts in 37 innings of Ivy League play.

Closer Ryan Smith '11 and right-handed pitcher Chase Carpenter '08 rounded out the All-Ivy picks for the Big Green. Smith was named to the second team and Carpenter received honorable mention accolades.

Young, a team captain for two years, finished the season with a 5-4 record and a 4.55 earned-run average. He led the conference with five complete games and tied with Carpenter for first in Ivy League wins with four conference victories.

Young said he found out he had been named pitcher of the year when his catcher, Jack Monahan '09, called him to deliver the news.

"I was defintitely blown away," Young said. "It's definitely an honor to win something like that."

Young is the first Big Green playerto be named pitcher of the year since Mike Remlinger '89 won the award in 1987.

Remlinger was selected in the first round of the 1987 draft by the San Francisco Giants and went on to pitch for 13 seasons in the majors.

Young has similar major league aspirations. Both Young and Wright have spoken with Major League teams and will be closely following the draft this June.

"We both would love to pursue baseball past college," Young said. "We're hoping when the draft comes we'll hear our names called."

Wright finished the year leading the team with a .397 batting average. He topped his career high in six offensive categories and was tied for first on the team with 17 multi-hit games.

Bell also had a stellar senior season for Dartmouth at shortstop. He hit .305, up from .280 in 2007, and was tied for third on the team with six home runs after hitting only three in his career before this year. Bell was also selected to the ESPN Magazine academic all-district second team.

Pagliarulo, the regular first baseman, also had a breakout year. After hitting .191 in 28 games last season, he was second on the team with a .370 average and third in the Ivy League, batting .423 in conference games. He was also hit by a pitch 13 times, a team high.

Santomauro rounded out Dartmouth's first team All-Ivy selections with his second consecutive first team nod. Santomauro followed up last season's .395 batting average by hitting .364 and led the team in runs batted in, home runs, total bases, slugging percentage and walks.

Smith broke the team record for saves this season with seven. He appeared in a team-leading 19 games and had a 2.25 ERA. He was third on the team in strikeouts, behind starters Russell Young and Robert Young '10.

Carpenter led the team with five wins and had a perfect 4-0 record in Ivy League play. Though he only played one complete game, he often pitched in the nine-inning games of the Ivy League doubleheaders. Dartmouth's five first-team selections topped Ivy League champion Columbia's three selections. Russell Young said he was not surprised that Dartmouth players made up so much of the All-Ivy first team, adding that it was a testament to the Big Green's success this season.

"It's a huge honor to the players that receive the honors," Young said. "When you've got seven guys on an All-Ivy team, that just shows that you are a good team and that it wasn't any one guy that carried the team. It was a team effort. It was everybody."

Dartmouth broke four team records in its division-winning season this year. The Big Green's 1,491 at-bats, 479 hits and 40 home runs were all-time highs. The 360.1 innings pitched by Dartmouth also broke a team record.

Young said he was confident in the team's prospects for next year, despite the loss of four All-Ivy players after graduation.

"That's the nature of the game, that you lose guys every year," Young said. "I'm very excited about next year's team because we do have a lot of guys coming back who will play huge roles for us. There will be a few holes to replace, but the players are already here."