Tuck hosts annual charity run

Perfect weather and an unprecedented turnout made the Tuck School of Business' 24th Annual Run for the Kids on Saturday the most successful yet, as the event more than doubled its previous record turnout.

The student-organized event featured a 5k run, a 10k run and 1k kids fun run. The money raised went to three local charities -- David's House, the Children's Hospital at Dartmouth and Upper Valley Child and Family Services.

"We are excited to have over 180 runners pre-registered, and 40 volunteers from Tuck and the charities ready to manage the course, registration, and the post-race BBQ and games for kids," organizer Mark Valkenburgh Tu'08 said before the race.

The number of people who signed up at the race on Saturday morning exceeded expectations.

"We had about 70 people sign up the day of the race, so our turnout was roughly 250," Valkenburgh said. "That is 2.5 times last year's turnout."

The event began with a fun run for kids. The kids were encouraged to do stretches and calisthenics, and then the crowd counted down from 10 to start the race up and down Tuck Mall.

"This run was adorable and set the stage for the morning," Valkenburgh said.

He attributed this year's success this to increased marketing efforts that aimed to involve the community more broadly and attract more children.

"We worked hard this year starting back in January," he said. "We reached out via posters, e-mails, local schools and community hot spots like Bagel Basement, [Baker-Berry Library] and [the Hopkins Center], to enhance community participation in this event, as well as increase the representation by who the race is for " youth."

Although the event was designed mainly for the Upper Valley community, many Dartmouth undergraduates participated as well.

"The Tuck Run for the Kids had a great turn out from the College," said Claire Wagner '10, the undergraduate organizer of the event. "The undergraduates ended up bringing some tough competition for grad students and community members during the 5 and 10K."

Rich Smith from Enfield, N.H., and Kat Eidmann '10 won the Men's and Women's 10k, respectively. Justin Curtis '10 and Susie Rinehart from Vershire, Vt., won first place in the 5k events.

The race was only part of the event, as runners and community members enjoyed a variety of activities, including a post-race barbeque of burgers, hot dogs and three tubs of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, as well as music and games for the kids.

"The barbeque couldn't have been better," Wagner said. "A huge group of [Dartmouth Medical School], Tuck, [Thayer School of Engineering] and College students, all relaxing on the lawn with their friends and families and dogs."

Wagner considered the event a success.

"The whole event had a great atmosphere; it was lively and cheerful and just generally a good time -- and the weather made everything operate perfectly," she said.

The Tuck Run for the Kids has raised more than $160,000 over the last 23 years, with $10,000 raised last year. This event raised $15,000 this year, according to Valkenburgh, and the money will be split between the three charities.

"Yesterday's Run for the Kids was the greatest I've seen since CFS has been involved in it," said Jeannette Birge, the director of Upper Valley Child and Family Services, one of the charities the event benefits. "The Tuck Run is very special to us -- we applaud them for putting on such a great event and deeply appreciate the opportunity to take part and benefit from it."