Baseball takes three of four from Penn, Columbia

After a strong weekend, Dartmouth's baseball team is 7-1 in the Ivy League.

On Sunday, Dartmouth (13-9, 7-1 Ivy) broke open the first game with a three-run sixth inning against the Quakers (11-11-1, 3-4 Ivy) to take the ballgame. The Big Green bats were much quieter in the nightcap , however, when Dartmouth managed four runs on only three hits, barely holding on for the victory in the ninth inning.

The following day, the Big Green struggled on defense in the early game against Columbia. Only three of Columbia's seven runs off of starting pitcher Robert Young '10 were earned. Dartmouth committed two errors and couldn't get anything working at the plate.

But the team's performance changed by the second half of the doubleheader. Dartmouth bats showed up to knock nine runs across the plate and take three of the four weekend games.

The games against Penn were originally scheduled for Saturday, but both doubleheaders were postponed 24 hours to allow the fields to firm up after last week's wet weather. Harvard also delayed its home games to synchronize the conference schedule.

Russell Young '08 got the win in the first game against Penn, giving up one run on eight hits and striking out three batters in the complete game effort. The only Quaker run came in the first inning on a pair of singles that opened the game.

Dartmouth quickly responded to the Quakers -- Erik Bell '08 was hit by a pitch leading off the inning and scored on a sacrifice fly by Damon Wright '08. Wright leads the team with 20 RBIs.

"We've been doing a good job seeing the ball and getting bases when we have them open to us," Bell said. "The team's been doing a really good job in responding to things that don't go our way."

The Big Green broke the game open in the sixth when Penn's starting pitcher Jeremy Maas gave Dartmouth a number of wild throws. Leading off the inning, Nick Santomauro '10 walked to lead off the inning and later scored three batters later on a wild pitch. Dartmouth added two more runs in the inning on singles by Johnathon Santopadre '09 and Bell, bringing the game to 5-1 and sealing Dartmouth's victory.

In the second game, Dartmouth took advantage of several opportunities, scoring four runs on just three hits. Three of the runs came in the second inning when Penn starter Paul Cusick issued five walks and hit a batter. Dartmouth did not have a hit that inning, but took a 3-1 lead.

"Their pitchers had given up less runs than innings pitched on the season," head coach Bob Whalen said. "For a college team, that's unheard of. We capitalized on our offensive opportunities, and that's just baseball."

On the mound, Jake Pruner '11 earned the win for the Big Green, giving up two runs on six hits, striking out one batter and walking two. The Dartmouth pitchers escaped several sticky situations, giving up 10 Quaker hits, but managed to strand nine Penn runners on base.

The Big Green defense did not fare as well in the first game of Monday's doubleheader against Columbia. The Lions scored two runs in the third and five runs in the fourth and the Dartmouth bats were unable to respond.

Robert Young '10 pitched a complete game for the loss, but only three of the seven runs he allowed were earned. He walked one batter and struck out another, ultimately giving up ten hits.

A throwing error by Jason McManis '08 at third base on a sacrifice bunt set up the Lions' five-run fourth inning. After a another sacrifice bunt advanced the runners, Young hit a man to load the bases. A pair of singles and a double cleared the bases and gave Columbia its 7-1 victory.

"I said to them that we were going to respond with poise and patience," Whalen said. "We've done a very good job swinging the bat and sometimes guys expect that that's enough."

The Big Green offense regained its momentum in the second game, however, when Dartmouth spread its nine runs over five innings to take the 9-3 victory.

Chase Carpenter '08 had an impressive performance on the mound for the Big Green. Carpenter gave up three runs on seven hits, walking one batter.

"[Columbia] was really aggressive the first game, and they were aggressive the second game," Carpenter said. "I think the key to my success was being able to keep the ball down."

Michael Pagliarulo '09 had a strong performance at the plate, driving in two runs and scoring twice on three hits. He leads the team in hitting with a .442 average and a .662 slugging percentage.

Dartmouth remains in first place in the Red Rolfe division and begins divisional play this weekend with a pair of doubleheaders against Brown. The team will take on Quinnipiac at home on Wednesday.