Baseball grabs two from Cornell to extend winning streak

Katie McConnell, The Dartmouth Staff
Katie McConnell, The Dartmouth Staff

Dartmouth (10-7, 4-0 Ivy) racked up 15 hits in the first game against Cornell (6-10, 0-2 Ivy), and seven players recorded two or more hits.

The Big Green racked up 19 hits in the second game and every starter had at least one hit.

"Everything was going right," assistant coach George Roig said of Dartmouth's success at the plate. "The guys we faced against Cornell, those were their best pitchers. The guys were just swinging at good pitches to hit, and when they were swinging at them they were hitting them."

Robert Young '10 was nearly flawless on the mound, earning his second win of the season in the opener. He went all seven innings, surrendering only one inning in the sixth inning and giving up only five hits while striking out six batters and walking three.

Chase Carpenter '08 earned the win in the nightcap. He went for six innings giving up two runs on seven hits, striking out two and surrendering no walks.

"Every start out of our starting pitchers this year has been solid," Roig said. "I thought we had that last year, but offensively we were so bad that we'd be in the game for the first five innings but we couldn't either stand on a lead or, you know, we just didn't get those guys enough run support. Certainly it's been a whole team effort."

The first game was delayed an hour while snow was removed from Hoy Field, but the delay did not seem to affect the Dartmouth batters.

The team opened the game with three runs in the first inning on a three RBI triple by Jim Wren '10.

The Big Green continued to provide valuable run support for Young, bringing another two runs across the plate in the third, and four more in the sixth to take a 9-0 lead.

Cornell freshman Mark Brodsky capitalized on Young's only glaring mistake all game, knocking a 3-2 pitch out of the park for a solo home run -- Cornell's only run of the game -- in the bottom of the sixth inning.

Dartmouth wasted no time getting things rolling in the second game, driving in double-digit runs and giving Carpenter plenty of cushion on the defensive side of the ball.

Michael Pagliarulo '09 knocked a two-run homer to kick off a six-run, two-out rally. He leads the team with four home runs this year.

The Big Green extended their lead to 15-0 in the third inning, piling on nine more runs and sending 13 men to the plate. Nick Santomauro '10 added to the barrage with his first career grand slam.

Santomauro led the team in runs batted in last year, and is currently third behind Damon Wright '08 and Pagliarulo.

Wright, who went a combined 3-for-9 at the plate on Sunday, also leads the team in batting average on the season, hitting .458.

Carpenter allowed two Big Red runners to cross the plate in his six innings of work before he was replaced by Kyle Zeis '08, who entered the game with a comfortable 18-2 lead.

Although Zeis leads the team with a 3-0 record, he has experienced control issues over the course of the season. He has issued a team-high 17 walks in 9.1 innings of work.

Sunday was no exception as Zeis came into the game in the seventh inning and gave up four walks and five runs without retiring a batter.

"I think he's [Zeis] got some mechanical things going on right now, but he's going to be fine," Roig said. "There's certainly no panic on our part, and I don't think he's panicking."

Despite pitching struggles in the late innings, Dartmouth's 17-run lead proved to be insurmountable.

The Big Green was the only Ivy League team to remain undefeated in the first weekend of conference play and sits alone at the top of the Rolfe Division standings with a perfect 4-0 conference record. Dartmouth has the best overall record in the Ancient Eight, with no other squad above a .500 winning percentage.

Columbia (7-15, 3-1 Ivy) sits atop the Gehrig Division. The winners of each division play each other in the Ivy League championship game, the winner of which earns an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

Dartmouth will head to Siena Wednesday for a doubleheader, before returning to Hanover this weekend for doubleheaders against Gehrig opponents University of Pennsylvania and Columbia.