On Home Turf: A New Field for Big Green Soccer

Big Green soccer has long been one of the most exciting sports to watch each fall. But the question for far too long among spectators has been, "Where the heck do I sit?"

Up until this season, the home of Dartmouth men's and women's soccer was the un-glorious Chase Field, a low-tech, oft-overgrown playing surface that seemed little more than a natural clearing in the New Hampshire woods. Chase had no permanent seating structure, so fans were often left to fend for themselves if a portable bleacher could not be found. Though many amazing games were played on Chase Field, its backcountry AYSO-like aura was hardly befitting of a historically renowned soccer program striving to make its name among the nation's most elite.

Thus entered the concept of Whitey Burnham Field, a new stadium complete with high-rise bleachers for both the home and visiting sides, a revamped field surface maintained to the highest of specifications, lights to allow teams to play night games and a new scoreboard. Thanks to the generosity of many donors, and particularly Stan Smoyer, the plans for Burnham became reality over the past year.

"The stadium has been one of the best things that could ever have happened to both the men's and women's programs," captain Monica de Bustamante '08 said. "Burnham Field is high-grade grass and an unbelievable facility that we have all loved playing in this year."

The first game played at Burnham Field was on Sept. 3, 2007, when the men's team hosted UMass, falling 2-1 in overtime. Dartmouth soccer's first victory at its new home would come four days later as the women defeated Cal Poly 1-0. This victory was also the first outdoor night soccer game ever hosted by Dartmouth, thanks to Burnham's new lighting system.

"We can finally play night games due to the lights and this has encouraged many more students to come out and cheer us on," Bustamante said.

The affection for the new stadium is universal. Players, coaches, students and alumni all greatly approve, especially those who had experienced the old Chase Field.

"At first, playing in the new stadium was unreal," forward Maggie Goldstein '10 said. "I couldn't believe that the new stadium was finally built and that we were already playing in it. It looks and feels so perfect."

Fans certainly seem to appreciate the new stadium seating, as this year's attendance soared above figures from previous seasons.

"It definitely seems like more people have been coming out to both the men's and women's games," Goldstein said. "It is a fun stadium to watch a game in. Every seat is a good seat, and it is a beautiful field."

The effects of increased attendance include not only increased unity among the student body as a whole but also a heightened sense of excitement during games, lending an aspect of World Cup madness to the most routine of matches. Any time a Big Green crowd is combined with a physical and exciting sport, the result will usually be mayhem infused with wild cheers and chants. This is the Dartmouth way, and Burnham Field has encouraged it to thrive.

"The new stadium lifts the level of the entire program," Goldstein said. "It makes every game seem like a much bigger event -- being out there makes you feel big time."

The construction of Burnham Field demonstrates the solidarity of the Dartmouth family and its potential to accomplish great things quickly. The time between the conception of the idea for a new stadium and the completion of the field was only a few months due to the generous contributions of the alumni.

Several more additions to the facility will be made in early 2008, including adjacent locker rooms, public restrooms and a plaza area with concessions stands.

Now that Dartmouth boasts one of the best playing surfaces and fan-friendly stadiums in all of New England, the Big Green will be able to attract a slew of elite opponents to challenge themselves over the next several seasons. Dartmouth soccer may be primed to pull off a few huge upsets next year as some of the nation's top teams are expected to visit Hanover in 2008.

The new facilities should also aid Big Green soccer in recruiting some of the country's most sought-after high school talent. If the Big Green was able put together competitive teams when all there was to show new recruits was the rundown Chase Field, Burnham should attract even more competitive recruits.

Women's coach Angie Hind is very optimistic.

"The new facilities will certainly continue to reap rewards for our programs in terms of recruiting, reputation, and attracting some of the finest teams in the country to Hanover for years to come," Hind said.

And certainly there are no better ambassadors to potential Big Green recruits than current Dartmouth players. Goldstein described an idyllic scene that epitomizes what it means to play for the Big Green.

"It gives me the chills to play in a stadium [like Burnham] and to have it be at an elite institution such as Dartmouth," Goldstein said. "It took several games for [the field] to start feeling like it belonged to us, but now that we have played several games out there it feels like it is where we are meant to be."

"There was one moment during our last home game against Cornell [on Nov. 3] where we were waiting for a corner kick to be set up," Goldstein continued. "I looked out over the houses that line one side of the field and saw that the sky was bright pink and purple. It was cold so there was a sort of mist on top of the field. All I could think of was the movie 'Field of Dreams.' It was perfect -- when you're out there, there really is no other place you would rather be."

We have built it, and now they will come: the fans, the top recruits and the best teams in collegiate soccer. At least, that's the hope of Dartmout's soccer program.

The Big Green men's soccer team will host the Princeton Tigers on Nov. 17 in Dartmouth soccer's final regular season home game of the year.