Men's soccer watches Ivy title dreams fade in loss to Brown

Tom Lobben '08 and the Big Green fell to Brown in a heartbreaker, 1-0.

With the loss on Saturday, Dartmouth falls to 10-4-2, 4-1-1 Ivy. However, the team remains in second place in the league standings, barely edging out rivals Harvard and Princeton. Brown remains undefeated in the Ivy League, improving their record to 6-0, and increasing to 14-1-1 overall.

The Ivy championship game was attended by more than 3,000 fans, including a large Dartmouth contingent who made the trek to Providence to watch the match in freezing conditions.

Dartmouth started the game strong, controlling play in the midfield, but could not create many attacking opportunities.

"We didn't have many chances in the first half, and it was frustrating for everyone," Sean Milligan '09 said.

Dartmouth totaled only three shots in the first half. A Dani Rothenberg '08 shot was blocked by the Brown keeper in the sixth minute, and Big Green striker Craig Henderson '09, who was able to control a beautiful long ball from Ben Salmon '10, saw his shot sail just over the bar.

Brown outshot Dartmouth by a considerable margin in the first half, posting 11 shots to Dartmouth's three. Big Green keeper Milligan was forced to make three saves in the period.

"Sean did a fine job," Dan Keat '10 said. "He made some good saves and collected the ball well."

Heightened emotions were visible throughout the match. Four players were cautioned with yellow cards in the game, two per side. The tension manifested in the 20th minute when a verbal confrontation between players on both teams escalated into a shoving match.

In the second period, Dartmouth's defense was able to hold the Bears to five shots, forcing Milligan to make only a single save. On offense, the Big Green was presented with four corner kicks, but was unable to capitalize.

"We had some decent chances in the second half, but just couldn't follow through," Keat said.

Brown finally broke the tie in the 83rd minute. Using a flip-throw, Brown midfielder Darren Howerton centered the ball into Dartmouth's box, where Dylan Sheehan was able to deflect it into the net.

"With a long throw-in, anything can happen," Pumi Maqubela '10 said. "They are hard to defend because you aren't playing it like a corner kick. It was just unlucky."

Dartmouth was unable to score in the remaining seven minutes, losing the game 1-0 in regulation time.

"We dominated the game in the second half," Keat said, "but they just got a fortunate goal."

The win for Brown solidified the Bears' spot at the top of the Ivy League and will most likely increase their national ranking.

"They are one of the top-ranked teams in the country and I think we outplayed them," Milligan said. "That gives us good confidence."

Despite the loss, the Big Green still has an opportunity to seize an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. Dartmouth will face off against Princeton at home for the last regular season game this coming weekend. The winner of the match will take second place in the Ivy League, which would greatly increase Dartmouth's chances for a spot in the tournament.

"Princeton is pretty good," Milligan said. "They still have incentive to play because if they beat us, they finish second."

The game against Princeton is set for 4:30 p.m. at Burnham Field.