Police arrest 12 over Homecoming

Friday's rainy bonfire night saw 11 arrests. Only one other arrest was recorded over the weekend for a total of 12, compared to 15 arrests last year.

Twelve alumni and current students were arrested over Homecoming weekend, including 11 arrests at Friday night's bonfire activities and one arrest on Webster Avenue Saturday night -- a number down from 15 arrests last year, according to Hanover Police Department Chief Nicholas Giaccone.

The vast majority of the arrests were made during and after the bonfire, as nine students were charged with intoxication and possession of alcohol, and two with disorderly conduct. Among those arrested were three recent graduates, who were found intoxicated and turned over to the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center.

There was also a reported fight on the hill near the Sphinx, Giaccone said, but no evidence was found supporting the claim.

Only one Good Samaritan call was made during the entire weekend.

In general, Homecoming weekend saw "many medical problems," but most of the problems, which included respiratory issues, were "completely normal conditions that were independent of Homecoming," according to Harry Kinne, the proctor of Safety and Security at Dartmouth.

One student fell down near the Green during the freshman sweep and was arrested by Hanover Police after the ambulance arrived and police discovered he was inebriated. The student was taken to Dick's House and then to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, where he was issued a citation for illegal possession by consumption, according to Kinne.

Two arrests for disorderly conduct were made during the bonfire event, as two students, under the encouragement of upperclassmen, broke through security to touch the bonfire.

One of the students tried to avoid capture and knocked one of the officers to the ground. One Safety and Security official and one Hanover Police Officer were injured in the process. The police tackled the other student to the ground as he was trying to escape. Both students were taken to the police station for fingerprinting, and charged with $500 fines and citations for disorderly conduct and possession of alcohol by consumption.

This year's football game was arrest-free. Only six members of the Class of 2011 chose to rush the field, as many chose to instead participate in an organized rush planned by the athletic department.

For the first time, freshmen were invited to congregate in the northwest corner of Memorial Field following the second quarter and then run on to the field to form their class number. Kinne estimated that 300 to 400 freshmen "successfully" rushed the field during halftime, although students disagreed with the number and the effectiveness of the plan.

"That wasn't going to satisfy the need to rush the field," said one freshman who rushed the field and wished to remain anonymous to avoid potential criminal or disciplinary action. "Someone had to do it, so I jumped over the fence and did it."

During the intermission between third and fourth quarters, six members of the class of 2011 rushed onto the field. Police officers stationed on the field surface took no action to make arrests during the game -- a change from past years, when students were chased and immediately arrested.

"I was kind of looking forward a little police chase, but nobody chased us," said the field rusher. "Some kid tripped on the way getting out, and nobody did anything."

Hanover Police and Safety and Security are currently reviewing videos for possible identification of the students, Kinne said, a process that has been successfully used in the past. Last year, four were arrested based on videotape identifications from the game.

Entering the field surface during a game is not allowed, Kinne said, noting that the students' actions could've resulted in a possible penalty against Dartmouth.

If identified, it "would be entirely up to the College" to determine how the student would be handled, and if rushing was a violation of the college rules, Kinne said.

"Overall, it was a safe, good Homecoming weekend, and the vast majority of events went smoothly without any complication," Kinne said. "Hopefully, next year will be even better."