Alumni office plans events for graduates

As the Class of 2011 runs around the bonfire 111 times, continuing to create their own traditions at the College, the campus will be brimming with alumni who have returned to revel in the weekend's festivities and relive some of the best times of their lives.

Homecoming weekend, with its many traditions and activities, is one of the most popular draws for Dartmouth alumni, according to Diana Lawrence, director of communications in the Office of Alumni Relations.

"Alumni love Homecoming. It's an exciting tradition that's been kept alive every year. It's a good family event, very dramatic, and alumni plug right back into the school spirit," Lawrence said. "We expect alums from the classes of '29 to 2007!"

Though her office doesn't track how many alumni come to Hanover for the weekend, she said that between four and five thousand return for homecoming. This estimate is based on the number of programs offered and attendance at specific events.

While the bonfire is the most notable attraction for alumni, the Alumni Relations office has created a number of events in past years that have been well-attended, Lawrence said. One of the most well-attended events is the Faculty Chalk Talk series, which will take place Saturday morning.

"We expect several hundred people to attend the Homecoming lecture, and so we moved it to Alumni Hall," Lawrence said. "This year Professor Rassias, one of our very popular professors, will give a lecture on Love in 18th-Century France."

Other recent additions to alumni activities during Homecoming have included the "Hanover Huddle," during which football coach Buddy Teevens '79 meets with alumni on Saturday morning to discuss the football team,.Another event is Coaches' Corner, which takes place Saturday afternoon and allows alumni the opportunity to meet with the men's and women's hockey coaches. A poster fair, in which students create presentations about their research, also draws many.

The Alumni office also organizes the popular pre-Bonfire parade and prepares hospitality tents for alumni over the weekend.

Other alumni activities are planned outside of the alumni office, Lawrence said. Class officers organize activities such as mini-reunions for graduated classes. Many fraternities and sororities plan alumni socials and tailgates. The Hill Winds Society, a group of student-alumni ambassadors, gives an expanded walking tour of the College. The development office also holds one or two receptions for major donors.

Despite the recent conflicts over trustees and the Board, Lawrence said that she didn't think alumni want to "interfere with students' Homecoming experience, as it's such a sacred Dartmouth ritual."

Planning for next year's Homecoming starts right after the last event ends, Lawrence said.

"We assess what went well and what could be improved," she said. "The hospitality tent at Blunt Alumni Center worked well last year, so we're expanding it and making some changes, such as offering cupcakes instead of cake."

Alumni opinions are used by the Alumni relations office to plan future homecoming events, Lawrence said.

"Dartmouth alumni aren't shy about giving their opinion," Lawrence said. "We always hear from people saying it was fantastic, and we always hear that people think things could be improved. If we get a lot of comments about something, we try and make changes."