Softball lands three recruits, but roster size will expand

Softball's recruiting class is small, but shouldn't spoil next season.

"With 16 underclassmen, the face of our team is very young this season and I would highlight that as one of our strengths," coach Christine Vogt said. "Given the large number of returning starters, we will benefit from the experience that our returning starters gained last season."

"I am pleased with the three recruits that were admitted early. Both McLuskie and Kolodziej are versatile players with the ability to play multiple positions. Lindsay will add depth to our pitching staff. All three have the competitive drive and commitment that we are looking to build in the program." Vogt said. "We only graduate one senior in Kelly Fry this year, and while we will sorely miss her bat, we were not looking to bring in too large of a class for next year."

Bringing in only three recruits will not hamstring the squad, at least for the upcoming season. With only one graduating player, the roster will grow even with the small class.

"We have a solid core returning and the new freshmen will add to our depth," Angela Megaw '08 said. "Last year's team had one of the best seasons to date despite multiple injuries. We hope to be healthy and [have] an even better finish this year. We're young and excited to play."

And what the 2011 recruit class lacks in quantity for next season, they make up for in quality.

McLuskie, a native of Sammamish, Wash., was a first team all-conference selection who plays second base and outfield for Eastlake High School and the Washington Absolute Blast. In the spring season of 2006, McLuskie was named Eastlake's offensive player of the year and ranked in the top 10 in seven offensive categories in the Kingco 4A Conference. In the classroom, she is ranked first in her class and is a member of the National Honor Society and French Honor Society.

"Coach Vogt is the best recruiting coach that I was communicating with," McLuskie said. "I was turned off by other programs because of a lack of communication, and it seemed like Coach Vogt was contacting me all the time. She and coach [Roni] Rivera also made our trips back to Dartmouth unforgettable. They really impressed me."

Kolodziej, from Morton Grove, Ill., is a four-year starter and two-time all-conference selection for Niles West High School and the Illinois Chill Gold, who offers talent at two positions -- outfield and catcher. Kolodziej was named one of Chicago Sun Times' top 100 area players. Academically, Kolodziej is an Illinois state scholar, vice president of her class and a member of the National Honor Society.

Lindsay, who hails from Whittier, Calif., is a pitcher from La Serna High School and the Orange County Lionettes, and was a 2005 first team All-CIF honoree. Lindsay is a two-time all-league and all-area first team selection, a three-time scholar athlete and honor roll award winner.

These three early recruits look to contribute to a Big Green softball team that Vogt hopes will be a solid Ivy title contender under the new structure of league play.

According to Vogt, the league has changed to more closely resemble that of Ivy League baseball. Under the new schedule, matches have increased from 14 to 20 games, along with a playoff opportunity. The playoff will include a best-of-three series between the top pair of teams in each division.

"This divisional structure is a positive change for our sport," Vogt said.

"This change will provide an enhanced competitive experience for our athletes. Given the new divisional structure, particularly with Princeton and Cornell in the same division, I expect this year's Ivy Title to be up for grabs," she said.