Football opens season with a win versus Colgate, 26-21

Buddy Teevens began his second stint as head coach of the Dartmouth football team by accomplishing something that had not been done in eight years. Backed by an outstanding defensive effort, Teevens guided the Big Green to a season-opening victory against Colgate on Saturday. The 26-21 conquest marked the team's first 1-0 start since 1997, and ended a six-game skid versus the Raiders.

A defense that frequently struggled to even keep games close last season forced four Colgate turnovers, three of which eventually resulted in Dartmouth touchdowns. The Big Green's first strike three minutes into the second quarter squashed the momentum of an impressive 75-yard Colgate scoring drive on their previous possession. Mike Rabil '06 sacked Colgate quarterback Lee Sloan, forcing a fumble recovered by Josh Dooley '06 who then ran all of 29 yards to pay-dirt, evening the score at seven.

For Dooley, it was the first defensive touchdown of his career, one that he accredits mostly to luck. "As Rabil was sacking the QB, I saw the ball squirt out, and it took a little bounce right as I went down to pick it up. Mike did all the work, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time."

Lucky or not, Dooley's score made up for a lackluster offense that was on the field for a mere three plays in the first quarter.

"It always takes some time to get into the flow of things at the beginning of a season," Teevens said.

On Colgate's very next possession, Dartmouth's new-look defense struck again. Steve Jensen '06 picked-off a pass at the 38-yardline and sprinted back 35 yards to set up a three-yard Mark Brogna '08 touchdown reception. Dartmouth would tack on a field goal by Erik Hinterbichler '06 later in the frame, solidifying a 17-7 lead.

The Big Green's tentative offense was elevated by their teammates on the other side of the ball. Dartmouth was able to capitalize on three of Colgate's four turnovers, the third time coming late in the third quarter. Kyle Cavanaugh '09 intercepted a pass, setting up the Big Green's final scoring drive of the game. Jason Bash '06 finished off a 37-yard drive with a one-yard touchdown run.

Veteran QB Charlie Rittgers '06 led the charge for the Big Green, completing 12 of 25 passes for 122 yards. He is fronting an offense that is, according to Teevens, significantly less experienced than the team's defense. Even so, Teevens points to a new strength and conditioning regimen as the key difference between last year's 1-9 squad and this year's team. "We want to be faster than our opponents at the end of games," said Teevens.

And faster they were, as the Big Green held off Colgate's final push with five minutes left on the clock. After downing a gorgeous punt at Colgate's one-yard line, Mike Saraceno, the Raiders' second quarterback of the game, slipped in the end-zone, giving Dartmouth a safety and all the insurance they would need for a 26-21 victory.

For a team that has matched last season's win total after a single game, 1-0 means more than just a good start. "Saturday was definitely a morale booster and confidence builder for our guys. But I have set very high standards, and they know that. One win will not make our season," said Teevens.

Rittgers echoed his coach's sentiments, saying, "We were happy to get a win, but feel we did not perform as well as we are capable of performing. We celebrated on Saturday night and began to correct our mistakes Sunday."

Those mistakes included "too many penalties, lack of true consistency on both sides of the ball, and some missed tackles," Teevens said.

Teevens said he was somewhat surprised and very pleased with the fervor of the team's youngest members. "The freshman class has formed a gauntlet," said Teevens, after the freshmen grouped together and led the crowd in a rousing rendition of Dartmouth's alma mater. "I can't say I've seen anything like that before," said the visibly touched coach.

"That kind of enthusiasm rubs off on everyone around," said Teevens. "It creates excitement on the field and in the stands. And we will certainly need the support of our fans this season."

Dartmouth's second test of the season comes on the road next weekend against in-state rival New Hampshire in the annual Granite Bowl. Kickoff in Durham is scheduled for 12 p.m.