Water polo team places second

For the second consecutive year, women's water polo returned from the Collegiate Water Polo Club Championship Tournament with a second-place finish, again falling to California Polytechnic in a down-to-the wire final game.

The women, who went into the tournament ranked first in the national club team poll, opened up the weekend with a 16-4 blowout over James Madison University on Friday. The match was reminiscent of the team's regular season victories, with goals scored by seven different players. The Big Green in the next game came out to a six goal lead against the Duke Blue Devils in the first quarter and never looked back.

Saturday morning's game against the University of Oregon presented more of a challenge. Tied at one a piece at the end of the first quarter and again at two at the end of the second, Dartmouth used the half to regroup and fire up the offense. Whatever Coach Jim Wilson said worked, as the women scored four unanswered goals in the third quarter en route to an 8-4 victory. Sarah Rosa '07, who earned a place on the New England Division All-Conference First Team as well as the All-Tournament First Team, led the Big Green with three goals, two of which came in the pivotal third quarter.

The win over the Ducks pitted Dartmouth against Miami University of Ohio in the semifinals. Ally Owens '06 kick-started the offense for the Big Green with a goal at 4:30 in the first quarter, but the Red Hawks were able to answer with one of their own. Cary Telander '06 snuck Dartmouth into the lead, scoring with 00:02 on the clock before the first intermission. Sam Klau '05 put the Big Green up by two at the start of the second quarter, but a goal by Miami at the end of the half shrunk the margin to one. The Red Hawks tied the game at three in the third quarter while holding the Big Green scoreless, setting up a critical final stanza. Rosa '06 gave Dartmouth the lead, but Miami again countered with a goal of its own, tying the game at four with a minute left to play.

When neither team could score before the end of regulation, the game went into overtime, which begins with two three-minute periods and, if the score is still tied, continues with three-minute sudden death periods until a goal is scored. Lindsey Pryor '05, who was named to the New England All-Conference Second Team, scored the first overtime goal after goalie MacAllister Henry Tu'06 thwarted a Miami penalty shot. When the first overtime period ended with Dartmouth in the lead 5-4, the women could taste victory.

However, the Red Hawks tied the game in the second overtime period, sending the game into sudden death. Some spectacular saves by Henry, who joined Pryor on the All-Conference Second Team and was named to the All-Tournament First Team, extended the game through three sudden death periods. Finally, in the fourth sudden death period, Pryor was able to rocket one past the Red Hawk goalie during a six-on-five, giving Dartmouth the victory and a rematch of last year title game against Cal Poly.

The Big Green, fatigued after the previous night's six overtime periods, came out slow, allowing the Mustangs to score two unanswered goals. The team conference at intermission galvanized the team into action, as Rosa and Pryor combined for three goals before the half. Nevertheless, the Cal Poly was also able to put two on the board, leaving Dartmouth trailing 3-4 going into the third quarter.

Klau tied the game during the third quarter while the defense did their part, corralling the Mustang stampede and holding Cal Poly scoreless. This led to yet another decisive fourth quarter, as both teams could glimpse the championship only minutes away. A six-on-five goal put the Mustangs ahead by one at the beginning of the period, followed by the seeming nail in the coffin with a minute to play. The Big Green refused to quit, however, as Klau kept the spirit alive with a six-on-five goal with 00:45 to play. An offensive foul gave Dartmouth one last hope with yet another power play opportunity with 00:07 on the clock, but Cal Poly foiled the effort, clinching the title, 7-4.

After the game, team captain Klau said, "We came out a little sluggish after our Miami game and even though we turned it on after the first quarter, it just wasn't enough." For the fourth consecutive year, Klau was named New England Player of the Year and earned a sport on the All-Conference First Team. This year, she adds to those accomplishments a place on the All-Tournament First Team, joining Rosa and Henry, as well as the title of Tournament Most Valuable Player.

Her graduation, as well as that of Pryor, Claire Gage '05 and Molly Turner '05 will make room for a new set of powerhouse players, the most promising of which include Rosa and Telander, as well as goalie Henry.