Outside the Dartmouth Bubble

Yankees outfielder Gary Sheffield is a renowned hothead. And while the verdict is still out on whether or not his Thursday night scuffle with a Boston Red Sox fan was provoked by a fan's uppercut, one thing is for sure: The Shef is lucky he doesn't play soccer.

The past two weeks, in fact, have been particularly brutal in international soccer, as a handful of fan-provoked incidents have hit global headlines.

Such news, of course, may be of some surprise to American soccer fans, namely because the MLS tends to be relatively tame and the fact that the most comprehensive and though-provoking American cinematic work on soccer -- Ladybugs -- explains that cross-dressing, not fan-violence is the biggest dilemma facing the contemporary soccer world.

Nevertheless, last Sunday, 17 fans were arrested after clashing with police at league matches, in which racist, fascist and neo-Nazi banners were displayed.

Two days later, during the second half of a UEFA Cup semi-final playoff match, which pitted home-squad Inter Milan versus AC Milan, Inter fans threw flares and bottles on the field, forcing the game to be cut short with AC Milan leading 1-0.

Dozen's of flares were thrown in the incident, lighting up the stadium sky like a cheap fireworks exhibit. One of the flares injured AC Milan's goalkeeper.

"I thought the flares made a really nice scene on the soccer field -- until I realized that they were being thrown at people," soccer enthusiast Elisabeth Sherman '06 said.

UEFA's disciplinary body could have expelled the Italian club from European competition next season. However, the verdict it ultimately handed down was far less severe.

Under the penalty, Inter Milan's next four home games in Europe must be played before an empty stadium. After that, if there is any crowd violence within a three-year period, Inter will face the same penalty for two more matches.

Unlike in Europe, where stadium-clearing verdicts are now commonplace, the United States' major professional sports leagues have yet to adopt such measures.

However, earlier this year, some members of the sports media suggested that the NBA's Detroit Pistons ought to have played the Indiana Pacers before an empty crowd in the first rematch following the now infamous Ron Artest fan incident at Auburn Hills. The NBA, of course, did not enact such a measure, and there is no evidence to suggest that league officials seriously considered it.

Across the globe from Inter Milan's home turf, CONCACAF officials fined Costa Rica's Saprissa US $10,000 Thursday, after its fans hurled coins and trash at a referee who made a questionable call during a Champions Cup match the previous week.

This incident erupted when referee Rodolfo Sibrian disallowed a 68th minute goal by a Saprissa midfielder because of a foul he said was committed on one of the opponent's midfielders.

"I saw the highlight on the internet and it was obvious that the ref made a terrible call in a pivotal situation," soccer fan Aaron Sallen '06 said. "I wouldn't have thrown any cash on the field though, first and foremost, because I'm too cheap. Also, because I'm essentially an easygoing guy and don't get really angry and flip out ever."

Scoreboard replays showed no-such infraction and the hometown crowd reacted violently, though not as creatively as flare wielding Inter Milan fans, pelting the field with change and debris, some of which hit Sibrian in the head. If it were not clear already, these recent soccer incidents reiterate the truth that violence is to international soccer matches as steroids are to south shore Long Island's, Gold's Gyms in the weeks leading up to beach season.

But all kidding aside, fan violence can turn deadly. One of the most notorious violence-turned-deadly incidents occurred in a May 29, 1985 Champions Cup final match in Brussels when rioting Liverpool fans caused a stampede that crushed 39 spectators. In another major incident, 95 people were trampled to death at the English FA Cup Semifinal game between Liverpool and Nottingham in April 15 of 1989.

There are some who believe that the United States is immune to the murderous riots that continue to plague soccer stadiums across the world. However, as a growing number of American athletes can attest, no one is safe.