Brown sweeps Big Green twice

The Dartmouth baseball team saw inconsistency rear its ugly head again this weekend as the Big Green was swept by Brown during Saturday and Sunday's doubleheader with scores of 4-1 and 17-4 on Saturday and 10-7 and 6-5 on Sunday.

Brown started out the first game with a first inning two-out run off of starter Jeff Wilkerson '07. Dartmouth came back to tie it at 1-1 in the second inning with a triple by Josh Bailey '05 and a sacrifice fly by Marty Hebert '05. Hebert's sacrifice, however, would start a string of 16 consecutive Big Green batters shut down by Brown's starter Bryan Tews. In the seventh inning game, Bailey's triple would be Dartmouth's last hit.

While the Dartmouth offense floundered at the plate, the Bears managed to put together a comfortable three run lead with single runs in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings. Wilkerson took the loss, allowing four runs over nine hits in 6 2/3 innings. Tews pitched a complete game for Brown, only allowing two hits, walking one and striking out four.

In the second game, the Big Green couldn't get the bats going and defensive blunders along with surprisingly unstellar pitching from Josh Faiola '06 marked the unfortunate rout in the nightcap. Despite a spectacular outing last weekend and Ivy League Weekly Honors for his performance, Faiola was unable to get the job done against the Bears.

Brown took the lead in the first inning, but Damon Wright '08 gave Dartmouth a 2-1 lead with his first collegiate home run.

Two errors in the fourth inning allowed Brown to send six batters across home plate. Only one of the runs was earned, as the other five runs crossed the plate after two errors allowed a two run double.

Erik Bell '08 doubled in Bailey to make the score 7-3 in the bottom of the fourth, but the Bears retaliated again with six runs in the fifth inning, helped by two home runs.

The Bears scored two more in the sixth and Bell plated Wright for the Big Green's fourth run with a single to left.

After Brown scored two more runs in the seventh, Bailey picked up his 100th hit of his Dartmouth career with a single to right. Bailey is the 36th Dartmouth player to accomplish that.

Faiola received the loss after allowing 13 runs, eight of which were earned, on 12 hits in five innings.

Dartmouth dropped both games in Sunday's doubleheader. In the first game, Russell Young '08 received his first loss of the season, giving up nine runs over nine hits in 3 2/3 innings. The long ball hurt Young, as the Bears picked up six of their 10 runs from homeruns.

Dartmouth was held to one hit until breaking open in the sixth inning against the Brown bullpen. Dartmouth took advantage of two errors to score four runs.

In the second game on Sunday, Dartmouth started out on top, scoring in the first inning with an RBI single by Brian Zurhellen '05. In the second inning, Wright reached base on a bunt, advanced to third on a wild pitch and ground out and scored on a single by Nacario. In the third, Dartmouth chipped their lead open when Will Bashelor '06 scored on a double play ball by Zurhellen. The Bears tied up the game with a three-run fifth inning with a fielder's choice, an error and a sacrifice fly. Zurhellen ended the threat when he caught Tews stealing second.

Brown scored two runs in the in top of the eighth and Dartmouth countered with two in the bottom of the inning. Zurhellen hit a double to right and was plated by Bailey on a triple down the right field line. Bailey then scored on a single by Wright.

The game went into extra innings tied at 5-5 until Brown broke the tie in the top of the 11th against closer Nick Peay '05 with a double, single and RBI fielder's choice. Peay received his second loss on the season, allowing one run over three innings of relief pitching. Starter Stephen Perry '07 pitched the first 8 innings, allowing five runs.