The new America's team

ATTENTION: Baseball fan desperately seeking team to root for. Big-market, high-payroll teams need not apply.

With 22 teams missing the post-season, most baseball fans are looking to "rent" a ball club to root for until the end of October. But as we look around at potential teams, it's not hard to become disenchanted with the growing trend of Steinbrenner-Economics, and the resultant disparity in the win-loss column between big-market, high-payroll teams and their small-market whipping boys.

Fortunately, out in Oakland, there's a bunch of young, beer-guzzling frat boys generating excitement and playing some pretty darn good baseball.

"I can't even describe this," said Jason Giambi -- Oakland's cleanup hitter and MVP-candidate -- to a group of reporters after the A's clinched the AL West title on Sunday. "There are no words for this. I mean, it's been incredible coming to the ballpark every day."

Seemingly imported from a slow-pitch softball league, the A's, which stands for "Anti-Yankees," have rode a wave of good pitching and three-run homers to the second best record in the AL and their first playoff berth in eight years. They're easily the youngest team in the AL (their starters have an average age of 25) and the poorest team to make the playoffs ($80 million cheaper then their first round opponent from the Bronx).

The A's play loose, exciting, fun baseball. It all starts with their rock-star leader, Giambi, 29, who is the elder statesman on a team full of guys that are barely old enough to rent a car.

Giambi stands tall in the on-deck circle, holding his helmet in his massive left hand, leaving his head exposed to the warm California sun. A self-proclaimed "pretty-boy," Giambi will wait until he's just about to step into the batter's box before donning his protective head gear because he hates to cover his long, wavy, brown hair. Looking more like a Metallica roadie than an athlete, Giambi has carried these A's to a major league best 21-7 record in September with his leadership, clutch hits, and eye-gouging offensive numbers: a .333 batting average, 43 home runs and 137 RBIs.

And A's General Manager Billy Beane has built a stable of young guys to complement Giambi in Oakland's lineup.

Slick-fielding shortstop Miguel Tejada, 24, who is baseball's best kept secret, provides Giambi with plenty of support. Tejada finished his second season in the bigs with more home runs and RBIs than his big-market counterparts, Derek Jeter and Nomar Garciappara.

Speedy center-fielder Terrence Long leads AL rookies in RBIs, hits, runs, total bases, doubles and extra-base hits. Twenty-two year old third baseman Eric Chavez has 26 home runs and 86 RBIs, but more importantly is hitting .355 against the Yankees. Left-handed hitter Ben Grieve provides even more power to an already potent lineup with 27 home runs and 104 RBIs.

While the A's can slug it out with anyone in the AL, it's pitching that makes the difference in October.

Ace Tim Hudson is the poster boy for a staff short on experience, but long on talent and moxie. Hudson is baseball's best young pitcher. He owns a 20-6 record and has earned an impudent reputation for staring down batters after striking them out.

"Tim doesn't always understand how intense he can be, but it's safe to say that the other teams notice," said A's second baseman Frank Menechino.

There's very little doubt as to whether or not Hudson can perform under the postseason microscope.

"I love pitching big games, it's something I don't have a problem with," a champagne-soaked Hudson told reporters after dominating the Texas Rangers over eight scoreless innings on the final day of the season, clinching the West crown for the upstart A's.

The A's have two other pitchers with over 15 wins, veteran right-hander Gil Heredia, and Kevin Appier, who takes the mound tonight. Add lefty Barry Zito, who's holding opposing batters to a paltry .165 batting average, and you have one of the best rotations in baseball.

In the bullpen, setup men Jeff Tam and Jim Mecir are enjoying great seasons with ERA's below three. All-star closer Jason Isringhausen had a reputation for being temperamental and immature early in his career. He once broke his right hand punching a wall in frustration. But Isringhausen is enjoying a resurrection in the free-spirited Oakland clubhouse, finishing the season with 33 saves.

The New York Yankees, who won only three times in their final18 games of the regular season, are too old, too expensive, and too boring to keep up with those "crazy kids" in Oak-town.

"They might be too young to know better," Mariner catcher Joe Oliver said in trying to explain the A's breakout season. "And for talent there are not many holes on that team."

The A's are a breath of fresh air in this year's playoffs. They're young, they're loose, they're fun, they're paid on a budget, and most importantly, they're good. Jump on the Athletics bandwagon now, because they could very well be playing in this year's Fall Classic, and in the next six to come.