Men's match-ups yield four sweeps

This past weekend saw four teams sweep and four teams swept. The winners were Columbia, Cornell, Penn and Princeton. On the losing end were Brown, Dartmouth, Harvard and Yale.

The Quakers and Tigers maintained their 1-2 position atop the Ivy League, though Princeton nearly got a break in its quest for the top spot when Harvard narrowly lost to Penn.

The remaining six teams fell out of contention weeks ago, and dropped further this weekend.

Columbia 72, Yale 67

One of the Ivy League's three fifth-place teams, the Columbia Lions, upset one of the League's two third-place squads, the Yale Bulldogs, in New Haven on Friday.

Columbia's sophomore captain Craig Austin led all scorers with 22 points on eight-of-12 shooting. Mike McBrien added 16 points, and Joe Case had 10 points to go along with eight rebounds.

The game stayed close throughout the first half, with Yale holding a slim 32-29 lead at the break. But the Lions came back, scoring 43 points in the final period to take the contest and move into a tie with Yale at 5-6 in the Ivies.

Columbia's 57 percent shooting, including seven-of-13 from three-point range, carried them in a close contest.

Yale's youthful backcourt of sophomore Onaje Woodbine and freshman Chris Leanza combined for 30 points and five assists.

Princeton 63, Harvard 48

A night before edging Dartmouth on Saturday, the Tigers ripped into the Crimson in Cambridge. A balanced offensive attack in which all five starters scored in double figures overcame a terrible three-point shooting performance for Princeton.

Sophomore center Chris Young led the Tigers in rebounding with eight, and added 11 points. Ahmed El-Nokali scored a game-high 15, Spencer Gloger and C.J. Chapman had 12 apiece and Ray Robins put in 11.

Princeton accomplished its point total with typical expert ball-movement, claiming 16 assists on 20 field goals in the game. While only hitting eight of 29 threes, the Tigers won with ease.

Harvard could neither defend the Princeton attack nor score consistently itself. The Crimson only mustered 17 points in the first half and shot a miserable 25 percent for the game.

Forward Dan Clemente led Harvard with 12 points. Freshman point guard Elliott Prasse-Freeman scored 11, but committed seven turnovers while dishing only three assists.

Cornell 79, Brown 76

The Big Red notched their second Ivy win of the season with a upset of the Bears in Providence. A 30-point, 13-rebound explosion from Derek Kruse -- who shot 13-for-16 from the field -- gave Cornell the edge.

The Big Red shot 60 percent from the floor to 43 percent for Brown and grabbed 36 rebounds to the Bears' 29.

Freshman scoring stars Earl Hunt and Alvai Nuualiitia combined for 44 points to keep Brown close, as did 20 Cornell turnovers.

But Kruse and Ray Mercedes, who scored 21 points, proved too much as the disappointing Big Red finally began to live up to pre-season expectations.

Cornell 64, Yale 58

With a second straight Ivy win Saturday at Yale, the Big Red tripled their League victory total this season over the weekend.

Derek Kruse was once again Cornell's star, scoring 17 points on 11-for-12 shooting, and pulling down 12 rebounds. Ray Mercedes scored 17 as well for Cornell.

The Big Red came back to earth with a 45 percent shooting night, but they held their opponents to 36 percent from the floor.

Onaje Woodbine scored 22 for Yale in the losing effort.

Both teams turned the ball over 15 times.

Penn 62, Harvard 61

Harvard was probably embarrassed by its Friday loss to Princeton and Penn was probably tired from a tough win over Dartmouth. The combination of these two effects almost resulted in the Quakers' first Ivy loss of the year.

Instead, Penn pulled out the one-point victory to maintain its perfect record at 11-0.

Four Penn scorers finished in double figures. Michael Jordan and Ugonna Onyekwe led the way with 14, Matt Langel had 13 and Geoff Owens 12.

Harvard's Dan Clemente really broke out for the first time in several weeks, taking 20 shots and scoring 25 points.

Elliott Prasse-Freeman made up for his clumsiness against Princeton by dishing 14 assists.

Columbia 53, Brown 48

The Bears endured a bad off-night in their home loss to the Lions.

Brown's Earl Hunt fouled out of Brown's home loss to the Lions while playing only 16 minutes and scoring six points. Alvai Nuualiitia only put in 14 for the Bears, and the team shot 34 percent collectively.

Columbia did not play spectacularly, but they were able to capitalize on Brown's difficulties for their second win of the weekend.

Joe Case and Mike McBrien led their scoring with 12 and 11 points.