Men's squash falls in New Haven

Men's squash ran into a brick wall when they traveled down to Yale this weekend. After a record- setting season last year and most of the ladder still intact, the Big Green had lofty aspirations going into New Haven. Those aspirations could only be heightened by last year's 5-4 upset of Yale at home.

But, the Bulldogs proved why they are considered one of the top teams in New England and in the nation topping Dartmouth 7-2 in matches.

"I was very happy with how the team played as a whole," top player, Beau River '00 commented, "This was a tough match because of their depth."

River who began the season 22nd in the nation, according to the National Intercollegiate Squash Racquets Association (NISRA), is playing at the top spot for a second season. River started the Green off on the right foot as he cruised to a quick 3-0 victory.

Captain Jon Gabel '98 won a closely contested match, the longest of the afternoon, in the second slot by a score of 3-2.

After that, it was all downhill. Some of Dartmouth's strongest players, such as Bill Tarr '98 and Will Leicht '99 were blanked in their matches, losing 3-0.

In fact, of the third through ninth singles matches, only Colin Greenspon '00 at number nine was able to get a game from his opponent. Despite all of his effort, Greenspon eventually dropped his match 3-1.

"Basically, the guys at the bottom of the ladder had just as hard a match as the guys in the middle of the line up," River continued, "and I think the team really did a great job of stepping up to the challenge."

Last year's 5-4 upset of the Bulldogs made the Big Green's season last year and there was no question that they were thinking of shocking the Bulldogs once again.

Yale was easily the stiffest competition this team has faced after sweeping Haverford and Franklin and Marshall at Franklin and Marshall in the middle of December.

The Big Green began the year 8th in the nation, but should move up when the new poll is announced by virtue of their defeat of the seventh-ranked team, Franklin and Marshall. Yale was tied for the 5th slot with Western Ontario, the lone Canadian team to play intercollegiate squash in the United States.

The Big Green's schedule does not get much easier after their match in New Haven. Matches remain against the top three teams in the nation, Harvard, Trinity and Princeton. Before they look ahead that far, they must deal with Williams College this week.

Dartmouth stands at 2-1 so far and travels to play the tenth-ranked Purple Cows on Wednesday.