Football looks to extend unbeaten streak

The Big Green football team will take a break from Ivy League play as they step out of the ancient eight to face Holy Cross tomorrow at Worcester, Mass. After pulling out a 23-15 victory in the season opener last weekend against Penn, Dartmouth turns their attention to improving on last week's poor offensive showing. Dartmouth dominated the Crusaders last year, beating up on the Patriot League foe 35-7 in Hanover. Here is a look at how the two teams match up.

Quarterback:

Dartmouth QB Pete Sellers '98 played well enough in last week's victory against Penn to please the coaching staff, even though the team ranks next to last in passing offense and toal offense. Still, coming off of an 18 for 30 performance for 149 yards, one touchdown and one interception, Sellers should be more comfortable in his second career start behind center. That could be key for his timing with the dangerous Big Green receivers. Crusader QB Dan Boland has been the heart and soul of the Holy Cross offense, passing for 356 yards and rushing for 65 more in the teams first two games. However, he hasn't seen a defense or secondary like the Big Green.

Advantage: Holy Cross

Backfield:

Tailback Dylan Karczewski '99 had a tough time getting on track last weekend, gaining 24 yards on 21 carries. He has breakaway speed but must learn to gel with a new offensive line. Once the offense gets on track so should Karczewski, who has displayed talent in his limited action the previous two seasons. Holy Cross tailback J.R. Walz is averaging 4.0 yards a carry, but does not play much of a role in the Crusader's pass oriented offense.

Advantage: None

Receivers:

Undoubtedly the strength of the Dartmouth offense this season. WR Zach Ellis '98, who scored the Big Green's only offensive touchdown last week, is a threat every time he touches the ball and just missed a long touchdown last weekend. TE Will Harper '98 was essential to Sellers last weekend, leading the team with six catches for 67 yards. 11 Holy Cross players have a catch in the first two games, but Boland's favorite target is TE Bobby Andrews, who is averaging 5.5 catches per game. Seniors Chris Hopkins and Jeff Laboranti are also threats for the Crusaders.

Advantage: Dartmouth

Offensive Line:

Dartmouth's offensive line struggled as the team averaged only 0.9 yards per carry on offense. Only Center Dominic Lanza '98 returns from last year's unit that was the best in the Ivy League. On the bright side though, Sellers had plenty of time to throw the ball, getting sacked only once. Likewise, Holy Cross returns only one starter on the offensive line from last year, but hopes to utilize John McCarthy, who is 6'8" and weighs upwards of 330.

Advantage: None

Defensive Line:

It is hard to find fault with any of the Big Green's defensive squad and the line is no exception. Ends Scott Hapgood '97, Damon Blechen '98 and Greg Dietrick '99 provide a strong pass rush while getting help from tackles Jason Upshaw '98 and Brent Crombie '99 on the inside. Dartmouth leads the Ivy League in both sacks and tackles for losses. The Crusaders lost two defensive ends but have recorded 18 tackles for loss in their first two games.

Advantage: Dartmouth

Linebackers:

All the press goes to LB Zack Walz '98 but first-time starter Jon Gibbs had a huge game against Penn, tying for second on the team with eight stops. Walz is still the best linebacker in the Ivy League. Holy Cross lost all three starting linebackers from a year ago and has been soft on defense, getting very little rush from their front seven.

Advantage: Dartmouth

Secondary:

The secondary has developed into the heart and soul of the Big Green defense, thanks to the leadership of safety Lloyd Lee '98 and cornerback Brad Jefferson '98. Both had outstanding performances last weekend. Lee was in on 11 tackles, caused a fumble and four tackles for loss. For his two interception, eight pass break up performance, Jefferson earned Ivy League Defensive Player of the Week honors. Holy Cross has given up over 250 yards in the air both games even though they return four starters.The Crusaders corners might be tested one-on-one as Holy Cross will put eight men on the line of scrimmage.

Advantage: Dartmouth

Special Teams:

Seventeen points from special teams is a number often unheard of in college football. But after three field goals and a touchdown from kicker Dave Regula '98 and a 44-yard per punt average from Wayne Schlobohm'00, the special teams showed why they are the best unit in the league.. Add Tom Reusser's '00 league-leading 26.3 punt return average, and the special teams is truly special. Holy Cross has already had one field goal blocked this season.

Advantage: Dartmouth

Intangibles:

The Big Green carry an 18-game unbeaten streak into the game but always face the danger of a letdown in Patriot League play. However, this team still needs to improve on offense and won't take this game lightly. For the Crusaders, it's their first real test this season and a chance to not only upset the dreaded Ivy League, but to avenge last year's loss.

Advantage: None

Prediction:

Dartmouth may struggle on offense which could provide an early scare if Holy Cross's potent run-and-shoot offense gets on the board early. But once again, the Big Green's defense should wreak havoc on the opposing offense and the special teams should come up with a few big plays. Dartmouth should pull away in the second half even if the Crusaders are able to score.

Final Score: Dartmouth 26-7