Army detonates Dartmouth

The men's and women's swim teams went into this weekend with two different goals. The women were looking to push their season record over the .500 mark, and the men were just looking match last year's total of three wins.

Unfortunately neither team was able to accomplish their goal as Army defeated the women 160-140 and outlasted the men 172.5-125.5. The losses dropped the women's record to 6-7 and the men's record to 2-6 on the season.

The women opened the meet with an early victory by the 200 yard medley relay squad of Christina Dam '00, Andrea Hill '97, Wendy Simon '98 and Lisa Parrington '00. But success would not last as the team quickly fell behind after the 1000 freestyle and the 200 freestyle.

Dam returned to notch a second victory in 100 backstroke, finishing in 1:01.58, only a tenth of a second faster than second place. Hill followed up Dam's performance by winning her second event of the day, the 100 breaststroke in 1:06.11, followed by teammate Sarah Burgamy '00 in 1:08.93.

The Big Green trailed only eight points after Sarah Hobson won the one meter diving. However, Army swiftly dashed Dartmouth's hopes by sweeping the 100 freestyle. Dam returned for her third win of the day in the 200 backstroke. Hill also turned in another win in the 200 breaststroke, winning in 2:22.00. Hill also gave the Big Green their last victory of the day, winning her fourth event the 200 IM in 2:13.17.

On the men's side, the Big Green opened with Dartmouth's fastest 200 medley relay of theseason. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to win the race. Once again, the question of depth plagued the men. The Big Green won seven out of the 14 individual events, but trailed by up to 60 points during the meet.

Jon Kenyon '97 turned in a season best 52.77 to win the 100 backstroke and another season best in the 100 freestyle, crushing the field with a 47.06.

Dartmouth's other successes came on the diving boards as Toby Hays '99 easily won both the one meter and three meter competition. Mark Devlin '98 continued his strong performances, finishing second to Hays on both boards.