Women's hoops swept, Stamp '96 breaks leg

Usually, the weekends at home turn out to be easier than those on the road, but not for the women's basketball team. Entering this weekend with a 7-2 record in the Ivies, the Big Green endured two tough losses this weekend to Princeton and Penn. But even more devastating could be the loss of Jen Stamp '96, who broke her leg late Saturday in the Penn game.

Princeton 65, Dartmouth 63

Comebacks are great, but when down by 11 and playing at home, wins are more important. This Friday, the women's basketball team suffered a disappointing loss to Princeton, as the game came down to the final seconds. The Tigers defeated the Big Green by the score of 65-63.

Dartmouth had a difficult time getting the rhythm going in the first half, as Princeton kept the lead for almost 18 minutes. Stamp controlled the boards for the Big Green, and saved the team with eight rebounds and eight points, including two three-pointers.

"We came out slowly," Jen Pariseau '97 said. "We were taking good shots, but we were missing. We weren't penetrating at all, and that cost us."

Princeton led 36-29 at the half, but in the second half the Dartmouth offense began to click. Bess Tortolani '98 began to rack up points of her own, scoring thirteen just in the second half.

Little by little, Dartmouth began to close the gap on Princeton's lead. During the last 10 minutes of the game, Tiger fouls and Dartmouth free-throws helped the Big Green come back.

With under five minutes to go, Tortolani hit two foul shots, and Dartmouth trailed by one basket, 56-54. Ten seconds later, Erin Rewalt '99 stole an in-bounds pass and drove to the basket, tying the game.

Rinaldi kept the momentum up by stealing the second in-bounds pass, drawing a foul. She went to the line to shoot one-and-one, making both and putting Dartmouth in the lead for the first time in the game.

With the crowd going wild and the team on a roll, the outlook seemed good. The score went back and forth, however, until, with 1:13 left, Princeton called a time-out. The Tigers trailed, 63-62. Unfortunately, Princeton's Kim Allen then took a three-pointer from the top of the key, nudging Princeton over the top, 65-63.

Dartmouth tried to score again but the team was not successful, as the Princeton defense remained strong. For Dartmouth, Rewalt had 13 points and 14 rebounds in the game, while Tortolani scored a whopping 20.

Penn 62, Dartmouth 58

Many thought Friday's loss was an accident, that Princeton had exploited the Big Green's weaknesses and caught them on a down night.

But no one expected a loss to Penn, the team that coming into the game had a winless season. Furthermore, no one would believe that a senior co-Captain would break her fibula and watch her final three college games from the bench.

But it all happened.

Penn, who entered the game with an 0-9 record in the Ivies, shocked everyone, including themselves, and defeated Dartmouth.

To top it off, Stamp -- who many call the "backbone" of the team-- fell to the floor, writhing in pain, with less than 30 seconds remaining in the game.

The game was fairly close from the beginning, as Dartmouth and Penn fought for the lead. Rinaldi hit two three-pointers in the first half, while Penn guard Colleen Kelly sunk 11 points.

Penn was up by two at halftime, as Dartmouth planned their second-half strategies -- control the boards, and don't miss.

"Our shots just weren't falling," Sally Annis '97 said. "We were tired and it showed."

Penn continued to lead, sinking outside jumpers consistently. With just under seven minutes left to go in the game, Dartmouth trailed by 12 points, 51-39.

With the crowd behind them, the team strove to comeback once again, as they closed the point margin to a mere three points with just 27 seconds left.

Then came the whistle and the shock.

Stamp explained. "We were pressing them, and I had my right leg planted. Some players came through full speed to catch a pass and ran right through it. It happened pretty fast and from my blind side, so I couldn't get out of the way."

After Stamp was carried off the court, Dartmouth threw up numerous three-pointers in hopes to tie the game. Penn went to the line, though, and scored another point, making it 62-58.

"We didn't shoot well," Coach Chris Weilgus said. "We were tired and lethargic, especially coming off last night's game. Bess and Erin both have the flu. I'm not trying to make excuses. It was just a rough weekend. In terms of the Ivies, we are probably sharing second place with a lot of other teams.

"Penn gets all the credit for this game," Weilgus added. "Their shooting was phenomenal and they really played well as a team."

The Dartmouth team must now look ahead, regardless of the emotional and physical obstacles which stand in their way.

"We still want to finish out strong," Annis said. "We want to finish with respect, and not fold these last games."

It was determined at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Hospital that Stamp broke her fibula in her right leg, a small bone near the back, and will be in a cast for 12 weeks.

Dartmouth will take its last road trip this weekend when they travel to Yale and Brown.