Basketball starts fall practice

For Matt Bush '96, a chem major, formulas and equations are no problem. As co-captain of the men's basketball team, Bush feels Dartmouth has all the chemistry of a championship team.

"Our goal this year is to win the Ivy League," Bush said.

The Big Green began their quest with a three hour practice on Sunday. October 15, celebrated as "Midnight Madness" by many schools, marks the first allowable practice of the season under NCAA rules. Prior to the 15th, coaches could only be involved in conditioning and defensive drills. Players ran informal practices in Leede or in gyms at home over the summer, but Sunday was for real.

"We've got the same team as last year that's different only in that they have more experience," Coach Dave Faucher said. "They worked hard all summer, and we're right where we want to be." Entering his fifth year at Dartmouth's helm, the veteran coach knows exactly what it will take to win.

"This could be a season in which 11-3 or 10-4 wins the Ivy League," Faucher said. "Every game will be a war."

To win a war, you need weapons, and Dartmouth has plenty. Thirteen letterwinners return from the last year.

Sea Lonergan '97 returns after earning league scoring honors and a spot on the all-Ivy team. Lonergan is touted as "the Ivy League's 'go to' guy, the player to watch" in ESPN's College Basketball Magazine '95-96 Preview. Averaging more than 17 points in 35 minutes per game, Lonergan hopes to "contribute wherever needed to help the team."

Up front, seven footer Brian Gilpin '97 figures to be a force in the paint.

"This year my role is to play tight D, rebound and score" said Gilpin, who averaged 11 points and eight rebounds last year. In the offseason, Gilpin bulked up and worked on some good moves.

"He has the potential to be dominating this year," Faucher said.

Kenny Mitchell '97 returns quicker than ever and looks to start as the point guard. Faucher agreed that he has gained tremendous confidence. His shooting is deadly.

Co-Captain Jacob Capps '96 will return to start at forward. "He leads by example," Faucher said. That could not be more evident than in Sunday's opening practice.

In practice, almost every fastbreak drill seemed to end with an Asa Palmer '98 jam, while every mistake corrected was followed by a slap on the rear and encouraging shouts. Every where you looked you saw someone working hard, especially when you watched Chris Butler '97. Faucher and players agreed in naming Butler the most improved over the summer.

"Chris is bigger and more confident," Gilpin said. "He'll be a major contributor this year."

Faucher agreed. "Don't be surprised if he shoots from outside this year."

There should not be many guys who could stop a seven foot three point shooter, even on North Carolina's nationally ranked team which Dartmouth is scheduled to play on Dec. 16.

Faucher plans a fast-paced, intense style of play this year. He looks to increase team shot percentage to over 50 percent, while maintaining the big defense. His stingy defense ranked 17th in the nation last year.

"The key this year is a good first half [of the season]," Faucher said. He feels the team can accomplish this and perhaps even win the league. As Faucher told the men on Sunday, "It's amazing what can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit."

As a balanced group whose stars look to better the team before themselves, the Big Green look to win their first championship banner since 1959 and earn a spot in the NCAA tournament.