Men's x-country on the run

The grueling day of an average Dartmouth student is filled with classes, a bit of studying, a bit more socializing and, perhaps, an athletic activity.

But would the typical student be able to schedule in running 20 miles at a five-minute mile pace everyday for three months? It might sound impossible, but 25 cross country runners do exactly that.

Motivation is not a problem for the men's cross country team. Led by two All-American captains, Ted FitzPatrick '95 and Sam Wilbur '95, Dartmouth has been unbeatable, winning its first two Invitational meets.

"To win the Boston College Invitational is a real achievement," Wilbur said. "We beat two nationally ranked teams -- Providence and Army." The Big Green were able to capitalize at home by easily winning the Dartmouth Invitational.

These runners are used to winning. Currently ranked ninth in the nation, the team has high hopes for future meets. The runners compete this Thursday in the Maine Invitational, which will help them prepare for the two key meets of their season -- the Heptagonals (Ivy Championships) and the NCAA Championships. "[Heps] is the make or break race of the year," Wilbur said.

After coming in third place for the last two years, the Big Green are ready to win and are the favorites for this meet.

As for the NCAA Championships, the runners are not satisfied with being number nine. "I think we can be one of the top five teams in the country," Wilbur said. "Dartmouth has proven it can run with the best."

"We know where we should finish," FitzPatrick said. "We have the talent, leadership and perseverance to run with the best teams nationwide."

Although being ranked ninth in the nation is a great honor, the runners have not allowed their status to go to their heads. "We don't take much stock in rankings because they only matter when the season is over," FitzPatrick said. "We're taking the races one at a time and paying close attention to details. When the time is near we will be ready to run."

So far, the Big Green have proven they are ready to run. Including the two captains, Dartmouth sports five strong runners to race for the finish line: Aaron Bouplon '95, Jack Dwyer '96 and Chris Langen '96. As long as there are no serious injuries, Dartmouth looks like it will be heading for a tremendous season.

When asked what the team's goals were for upcoming meets, Coach Barry Harwick said: "To win!"

The team will compete in the Maine Invitational Saturday in hopes of fulfilling his goal.