Men's soccer beats UMass 3-2

The men's soccer team broke out of its recent scoring slump with three spectacular goals yesterday against the University of Massachusetts, beating the Minutemen 3-2.

The Big Green, in their first game at Chase Field in two weeks, went down 1-0 in the 21st minute when UMass midfielder Joel Pittman slipped the ball into an open net. A long throw-in by junior defender Benny Sheally caused confusion in front of Dartmouth's goal, and Pittman was able to get free.

However, just 16 seconds later, Big Green co-captain Blaine LeGere '95 answered with a 30-yard strike that slid past UMass goalie Mark Wolf and into the lower left side-netting.

"It was a bit vindictive," LeGere said, describing the goal. "It was my man [Pittman] who scored their goal."

LeGere's tally evoked images of an unassisted goal he scored earlier this year against Yale. This time, LeGere had the help of an assist from striker Chris Mitchell '95.

Two minutes from halftime, John Bosacco '96 split two UMass defenders and found Mitchell, who laid the ball to Noah Waterhouse '97.

Bosacco was then the far-post target of a beautiful cross from Waterhouse, whose one-touch curling pass set up Bosacco for a leaping header, his fourth of the season.

In the 58th minute, Dartmouth extended its lead to 3-1 on a great individual effort by Hunter Paschall '96. LeGere broke up a UMass pass and directed the ball to Paschall, who beat Minutemen defender Joe Jacobson and broke into the clear.

From the top of the penalty box, Paschall then unloaded a line-drive that found the right side-netting and Wolf had no chance to stop it. Paschall's goal was his fifth of the season; he leads the team in scoring.

UMass cut the margin to 3-2 in the 61st minute after Karstin Bremke's shot was deflected to an onrushing Colin Johnson. Dartmouth goalie Brian Wiese '95 had no chance to stop Johnson's right-footed volley from 12 yards out.

However, just six minutes later, Wiese got the best of Johnson. Coming out and sliding to deny Johnson, who was only eight yards from the goal, Wiese made what turned out to be the most important save of the game.

The Big Green outshot the Minutemen 23-7, and were close to scoring a fourth goal in the 77th minute when Auggie Lopez '97 hit the crossbar from seven yards out.

However, this "insurance goal" was unneeded, as the Big Green were able to hold out for the victory, improving their record to 5-3-1. UMass fell to 8-5-1.

"The most important thing was for us to get a win," LeGere commented.

"Both sides played a great game," Coach Fran O'Leary added. "We would go up, and it would look like we were going to finish them off. They would come back, and it seemed like we were headed for overtime."

Dartmouth now must focus on the Ivy League race and its next opponent, Cornell.

"[Cornell] is a well-coached team," O'Leary said. "They've given us trouble in the past. They're capable of beating anyone in the Ivy League."

The Big Green's conference record is 2-1. They are one game behind Brown, who are in the lead at 3-0. A loss at the Cornell game would make catching up to Brown, which beat Dartmouth 4-1, very difficult.

Kickoff vs. Cornell is noon on Saturday at Chase Field.