Cross country team places 2nd

The women's cross country team, coached by Ellen O'Neil '87, has been tearing up the trails all over New England this season.

Led by captain Kristin Cobb '95 and Kristin Manwaring '96, the Dartmouth team members are making a name for themselves in a big way.

This past weekend, the women claimed second place at the Murray Keatinge Invitational held at the University of Maine, Orono. Boston University took first place at the meet and repeated the pattern of edging out Dartmouth, which started in September at the Dartmouth Invitational.

It seems that second place has been fate for the cross country team this season. So far, the women have finished second in every race, but they are improving along the way.

A highlight of the season came in the form of another second place finish, but it was to nationally ranked Providence University in the Boston College Invitational.

With the season beginning to wind down, it appears as though the long, painful hours of hill intervals, weight training, pool workouts, and long distance runs are paying off.

The goal that now lies ahead of the team is a win at the prestigious Heptagonals (Ivy Championships). The Heptagonals will be held on October 28 at Van Cortlandt Park in New York.

"One of our big team goals for the season is to win Heps," Jenna Rogers '98 said. "I guess that is definitely our main focus right now."

Rogers is one of five underclassman who has made a huge impact on the team this season. The rest of the pack consists of Kristin Pierce'96, Kelly Roda '97, Sarah Howlett '98 and Deidre Milligan '98.

The Big Green's next obstacle will be the Columbia Invitational held next weekend in Van Cortlandt Park, New York. Beyond that, their sights will be focused on the Heps, and -- finally -- on the ECACs in Boston.

"It has been a very successful season thus far," said captain Cobb. "I think things will only improve as we enter the championship portion of the season. Our goals in the upcoming meets are to win the Heps or to make the nationals."

A first or second place finish at ECACs could earn the women a trip to the NCAAs in Arkansas. If their success this season is any indication of their future prospects, a second place finish is definitely within their grasp.

"Our goals this season are twofold," said Coach O'Neil. "First, we would like to finish in the top two at the Heps and qualify for the nationals, both of which we attained last year."

"Despite the fact that we are without three of our top performers from last year's team, these goals are still attainable. I am very encouraged by what I have seen thus far, in both practice and competition."