Optimistic future for swimming

The men's swim team ended its season with a ninth place finish at the Eastern Seaboard Championships this weekend at the United States Military Academy at West Point.

The ten-team field included the Ivy League, Army and the Naval Academy. The highlight for the Big Green was their exciting one point victory over Brown University, which was decided in the final relay.

First-year coach Jim Wilson said, "I think we had some really good swims, as well as some average swims, but no one swam badly. Our biggest goal was for everyone to swim well individually, and I think we came really close to that."

Although many of the swimmers expressed disappointment with their individual times, there were a lot of very strong performances for the Big Green.

The seniors performed especially well in their last Dartmouth meet, led by key races from Bob Halk '94 in the 400 and 800 relay.

Sunil Singhal '94 shaved over eight seconds off his personal best in the 500 sprint.

Matt Carlson '94 turned in strong performances in his freestyle races and Scott Chaney '94 performed well in the 200 breast.

"I'm really going to miss this year's seniors," Wilson said. "They brought a lot of spirit and leadership to this team, but I'm confident that the juniors and sophomores will pick up the slack next year."

The team suffered without the full force of Louis Tucker '95, who just came off of an illness which affected his performance. But his classmate Ross Downey swam two personal bests in the 100 fly and the 200 individual medley.

Next year the team hopes to build on its postseason victory over Brown, as well as a year of experience for Coach Wilson. Sixteen returning swimmers look to improve on this year's regular season record of 1-11.