NBA teams look to future

Throughout the long summer months, the national sports scene can seemingly be summarized in one word: baseball. Don't get me wrong; I'm not knocking the national pastime, but when the NBA draft comes along to break the monotony, ragging on the Mets can wait for another day.

With that said, here is one humble sportswriter's somewhat serious opinion on the winners and losers in Wednesday's NBA draft-day activities:

The Winners

Golden State -- Any person who fails to recognize Warrior coach and General Manager Don Nelson as one of the craftiest men on the planet is the same person who would have traded up to take Shawn Bradley with the number one pick. Nelson realizes with his coaching, a healthy lineup (unlike last year), and a big man who is ready to play NOW (read: Chris Webber, not Bradley) the Warriors are ready to win again. By picking Michigan's Webber, Golden State has assured itself of returning to the post-season next year.

Dallas -- Yes, the woeful Mavs have actually drafted well two years in a row. Amazing! By adding Kentucky small forward Jamal Mashburn, my choice as the best player in the draft, to last year's crop, which includes the explosive Jim Jackson, the developing Sean Rooks and veteran Derek Harper, Dallas has four players who deserve to be in the NBA.

Sacramento -- Those denizens of the lottery, the Kings, will not be watching the ping-pong balls next year. It's not that Duke Point Guard Bobby Hurley is a particularly stunning pick, but rather that this is the final piece of the puzzle (besides a marquee center, but who has one of those these days?) that will enable Sacramento to return to the playoffs.

Hurley and the versatile Walt Williams will compete for the right to run the offense and dish off to Mitch Richmond, Lionel Simmons, and Wayman Tisdale.

Boston -- As much as Spike Lee and I hate to admit it, the Celts did well on draft day. By somehow grabbing Iowa center Acie Earl with the 19th pick, Boston can begin grooming a replacement for Robert Parish.

Also, after four years of wrangling, the Celtics finally signed Croat power forward Dino Radja, supposedly the second best player in Europe after Toni Kukoc, who will now try to replace the retired Kevin McHale.

Chicago -- Did someone say Toni Kukoc? The rich get richer as the three-time defending champions now have quality bench support for forwards Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant. The Bulls will probably at least look at moving Pippen to the point and starting Kukoc at small forward, if the Croatian turns out to be all he is supposed to be.

The Losers

Orlando -- Pat Williams has done it again. The man who royally botched the 1986 Moses Malone trade (Do Roy Hinson and Jeff Ruland ring a bell? I didn't think so) when he was general manager of the 76ers has now squandered the Magic's hopes for a future dynasty.

By trading down to draft Memphis State point guard Anfernee Hardaway, Orlando once again has underestimated its current floor leader, Scott Skiles, and ignored its lack of a quality power forward, a need which Webber would have filled perfectly.

What about the three first round draft picks from Golden State in 1996, 1998, and 2000, you say? What about them? With Webber, Chris Mullin, and company, the Warriors are likely to be decent for years to come, so the picks will be low ones.

Even worse, the possibility exists that the draft will be disbanded in a new collective bargaining agreement before the first of the picks is even made.

Philadelphia -- Is this Shawn Bradley thing a big hoax or what? It is this simple; the BYU big-man-turned-missionary-man cannot live up to expectations. The reason? He is just not good enough.

Even if the 7'6" center does continue to fill out and then display the talent he supposedly has, the 76er brass admits he is a project that will take at least two seasons to develop. The notorious Philadelphia fans are not nearly so patient, a fact which could shatter Bradley's psyche and limit his potential.

Minnesota -- In their never-ending quest to create the NBA's "All-Attitude Team" the Timberwolves traded for the mouthy Chuck Person a couple of years ago, but that was not enough. Last year, they drafted Christian "I'm too good for a guest appearance on 'Beverly Hills 90210,' even though I would fit right in" Laettner, but they could not stop there.

Now they have drafted proven scorer/proven loser J.R. Rider from (shocker) UNLV with the fifth pick overall. If Minnesota were halfway decent, its front office would worry more about these team chemistry problems, but at this point it is simply looking for the best talent available.

Well, there you have it. I am already looking forward to next season to see how often I'll be proven dead wrong.

Draft pick recap

1. Chris Webber -- Orlando

(traded to Golden State)

1. Shawn Bradley -- Philadelphia

2. Anfernee Hardaway -- Golden State (traded to Orlando)

3. Jamal Mashburn -- Dallas

4. J.R. Rider -- Minnesota

5. Calbert Cheaney -- Washington

6. Bobby Hurley -- Sacramento

7. Vin Baker -- Milwaukee

8. Rodney Rogers -- Denver

9. Lindsey Hunter -- Detroit

10. Allan Houston -- Detroit

11. George Lynch -- LA Lakers

12. Terry Dehere -- LA Clippers

13. Scott Haskin -- Indiana