The Weekend Roundup: Week 8

Football

The No. 20 Dartmouth football team found victory in sleet and freezing rain Saturday afternoon, defeating Harvard University 24-17 for the Big Green’s first victory against the Crimson in 15 years. In the slick conditions, the team opted to keep things on the ground, with the run game controlling the day. Quarterback Jared Gerbino ’20 went for 183 yards and a touchdown, adding on to 117 and an additional score from Rashaad Cooper ’19. Defensively, the side was led by Kyran McKinney-Crudden ‘19 with 11 tackles, along with seven apiece from David Emanuels ’19 and Bun Straton ’19.

Dartmouth started out strong near immediately with an 82-yard run from Cooper on the second play of the game, putting the Big Green on the board up seven. Despite outpacing the Big Green 42-24 in plays in the first half, Harvard found themselves struggling in the difficult conditions, and the Big Green defense capitalized. The second Dartmouth touchdown came off of a fumble forced by Niko Lalos ’20, with the recovery from DeWayne Terry Jr. ’21 going 62 yards, all the way to the Crimson end zone. This was one of the five Harvard fumbles on the day, four of which were recovered by Dartmouth. After the offense was unable to capitalize on the defense’s stops for much of the second quarter, the Big Green headed into the half with a 21-0 lead, following a drive spearheaded by Gerbino that ended with a 20-yard run into the endzone.

In the second half, the Crimson were able to pull things closer to the Big Green, with Harvard running back Aaron Shampklin running it in for a touchdown to end the Crimson’s opening drive. The game remained at 21-7 until the start of the fourth, when Connor Davis ’22 nabbed a 28-yarder, but Harvard responded with a touchdown of its own from quarterback Tom Stewart. A field goal from the Crimson with 1:36 left put Dartmouth up by only 7, but the onside kick from Harvard went out of bounds, allowing the Big Green to keep the ball the remainder of the time, sealing the victory.

Dartmouth will travel to Princeton University this Saturday in what will be their most critical and challenging matchup of the season, as the No. 17 Tigers remain the only other Ivy undefeated in both general and conference play. The outcome of the game will likely determine the Ivy League crown, as none of the remaining Ancient Eight teams have challenged the performances from the Princeton and Dartmouth sides on the year.

Soccer

The Dartmouth men’s soccer team defeated Harvard University 2-0 in their Homecoming performance, with the Big Green dominating Harvard on all counts offensively. Dartmouth found 22 shots total and 11 on goal, compared to 8 and 2 respectively from the Crimson, with Eduvie Ikoba ’19 finding the back of the net twice. The team will take on No. 22 Cornell in their last match of the regular season this upcoming Saturday, standing at 5-5-5 on the year.

Dartmouth women’s soccer found a 3-1 victory in their Homecoming game against Harvard University Saturday night, putting the team at 9-5-2 on the year and 3-2-1 in Ivy League conference play. Remy Borinsky ’19 led the offensive charge for the Big Green with one goal and two assists. Erin Kawakami ’21 followed suit with one goal and one assist, and Izzy Glennon ’22 also scored a goal.

The Crimson came out strong, scoring 20 minutes into the first half, and held that margin for the remainder of the 45 minute period. However, once the second half began, the Big Green side hit its stride, with Kawakami getting one in at 49 minutes. Unanswered by Harvard, Dartmouth pulled beyond a tie with the goal from Glennon at the 73rd minute, and made it a two goal game with the final strike from Borinsky in the end. Dartmouth finishes the season with a 6-2-1 record at home, and will look to finish on a positive note away as well when they travel to Cornell University this upcoming Saturday.

Field Hockey

The Dartmouth field hockey team fell on Senior Day to No. 6 Harvard University Saturday, 6-0. Facing miserable conditions, including sleet and freezing rain, Dartmouth was unable to put together an offensive performance against the Crimson, who had won their last 11 straight games. The defensive performance from Hailey Valerio ’19 kept the game closer than it might have been otherwise, with her 15 saves against the Crimson’s 21 shots on goal, compared to a lone one from Dartmouth.

The team was unable to bounce back from the loss against the Crimsons the next day, as they fell in their final non-conference game of the season against the University of New Hampshire 5-1. The team’s offensive woes continued against their Granite State rival, as Gemma Bautista ’19 scored the team’s lone goal at the end of the first half. The team will look to close out the season strong in their final match next Saturday against Cornell University.

Rugby

The Dartmouth women’s rugby team fell in the Ivy Rugby Championship game at Brophy Field Sunday, with the Harvard Crimson taking the win in a 12-3 game. The Big Green faced extremely challenging conditions, with consistent sleet and rain throughout the match, and the offensive performances from both sides were hurt as a result. A penalty kick from Kat Ramage ’19 put Dartmouth up 3-0 10 minutes into the match, but Dartmouth was unable to respond to the two Harvard tries and a kick over the remaining minutes of the game, as conditions worsened. The low-scoring game marks the Big Green’s first loss of the year, and the team looks to rebound and continue their otherwise exceptional performance this season as they go into the National Intercollegiate Rugby Association Quarterfinals on Nov. 10.

Ice Hockey

Dartmouth men’s hockey nabbed a win in their season opener against Harvard University, taking down the Crimson 7-6 in overtime. In the high-scoring Ivy League matchup, the Big Green were led offensively by Shane Sellar ’20, who found the net twice and added one assist, along with Drew O’Connor ’22 and Will Graber ‘20, each of whom added a goal and two assists. After an early goal by Sellar to start the game off, Harvard responded quickly, with two goals within 30 seconds of one another and a third early into the second putting the Crimson up 3-1 on Dartmouth. Graber responded with a goal of his own, with Harvard answering again in an attempt to keep their margin at two goals. This did not last long, with O’Connor finding the net only 22 seconds after the Harvard score. At the start of the third, a redirect by Ryan Blankemeier ’20 and another Sellar goal put the Big Green ahead 5-4, but Harvard tied things up again soon after. Clay Han ’20 added another goal to the Dartmouth tally late, but a Harvard score with 3:48 to go put the game into overtime. This did not last long though, as a goal from Quin Foreman ’21 only 18 seconds into the extra period sealed things for Dartmouth. The team will look to continue their winning start next weekend, as they host Princeton University Friday night and Quinnipiac University the day after.

The Dartmouth women’s ice hockey team faced a tough challenge over the weekend, facing two top-10 ranked teams after losing to Harvard University in their season opener last week. Despite their best efforts, the Big Green fell to No. 9 Colgate University 6-0 and No. 7 Cornell University 4-0. In the initial matchup against the Raiders on Friday, the Dartmouth side faced an overpowering offensive performance, with 40 shots from Colgate to 14 for the Big Green. Christine Honor ’19 held the net with 34 saves on the night. Despite the outcome, the Saturday afternoon game against the Big Red that followed was more evenly matched, with 23 shots from the Big Green to 38 from Cornell. Kayla Wormsbecher ’21 made her debut in goal for Dartmouth, and came away with 34 saves and a 0.895 save percentage on the day, a good performance in her first collegiate game. Dartmouth, now 0-3 in overall play, will look to improve this upcoming weekend, as they continue their campaign away against Princeton University and Quinnipiac University.

Volleyball

The Big Green finished the Homecoming weekend strong, beating the University of Columbia’s women’s volleyball team in a 3-0 sweep. Dartmouth’s Nicole Liddle ’22 led the team with nine kills, two blocks and 10 digs. Abby Kott ’20 and Carly Tower ’20 together contributed 14 kills to the win. Corinne Cox ’20 recorded an impressive 17 assists and six digs for the night. On the defensive end, Zoe Leonard ’19 completed 16 digs to help the Big Green pull out their eighth win of the season.

The previous night, the Dartmouth women fell short to Cornell after four games. From the first game, the women had difficulty finding momentum, losing 25-17. The women found their rhythm in the third game, finished on the winning side of a 25-17 score. The women were ready to take the Bears to five games, but lost their energy in the final game. Once again, Liddle led the team with eight kills. Tower and Elise Petit ’21 together earned 12 additional kills for the team. Tower contributed seven blocks while Kott recorded five for the night. Despite these statistics, it was not enough to overtake Cornell. The team finished the weekend at with an 8-12 overall record, 4-6 in the conference. The Big Green prepares for another week of practice as they get ready to enter the most critical part of their season. The women travel down to Rhode Island to face the Bryant University Bulldogs on Tuesday and host Brown University on Friday.

Cross Country

The Dartmouth women finished second overall at the Ivy League Heptagonal Championship, with Columbia University taking first for the second year in a row. Glennis Murphy ’21 represented Dartmouth well on the 6K West Windsor course, placing 12th out of 90 runners. Not far behind, Georgia Fear ’20, Olivia Lantz ’19, Julia Stevenson ’20 and Lauren Sapone ’20 took the 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th spots in the race. The Big Green’s depth on the roster earned them the prestigious second place. A select group of women gear up for the NCAA Northeast Regional, a preliminary for the NCAA Championship, in two weeks.

The Big Green men’s also performed well at the Ivy League Heptagonal Championship, finishing in third behind Princeton University and Harvard University out of the eight competing Ivy League teams. Owen Ritz ’21 and Henry Raymond ’20 earned seventh and eighth place, respectively, finishing one second behind two Princeton runners. Harvard and Princeton took the best six times. Across the board, the men wore the green running shorts with pride, with Marco Pompilj ’19 and Quinn Cooney ’19 taking 14th and 16th place, respectively. The men head back up north to train for the NCAA Northeast Regional on Nov. 9.

Heavyweight Rowing

The heavyweight rowing team gave host Princeton University a run for its money this weekend at the annual 3-Mile Princeton Chase. In the morning, the men finished in second in the 8+ race, a mere one second behind Princeton. These two conference rivals went head-to-head all day long. In the 4+ event, the Dartmouth men finished in third behind two Princeton crews. The second Dartmouth 4+ boat finished in a close sixth, just behind Wisconsin from the Big Ten. The men leave a lasting impression on crews that they will see again in the spring for the 2k season.

Women's Rowing

The women’s rowing team headed down to New Jersey this weekend for the annual 3-Mile Princeton Chase. Boats were driven up from all over the country, with competitors from Duke University, Brown University and the University of Rutgers among others. The Championship 8+ finished seventh out of 46 crews, placing ahead of Rutgers and Ivy League rival Cornell University. The two other crews from the Big Green placed 19th and 29th, respectively, representing the boathouse well in the Women’s Open 8+ category.

In the afternoon, the Big Green sent out four 4+ crews and one novice 8+. The top 4+ finished 13th out of 36 crews, while hosts Princeton dominated the leaderboard, finishing in first, second and fifth. The freshmen in the novice 8+ finished 10th out of 11 crews, but proved to be a tough group of young athletes against the stiff competition. Overall, the women wore the green unisuits proudly for their last regatta of the fall season. The Big Green savor every last stroke on the fall water as they gear up for the longer winter training season.

Women's Golf

From Friday to Sunday, the women’s golf team participated in the Alexa Stirling Intercollegiate Invitation hosted by the University of Louisville in Atlanta, Georgia, finishing in 11th place. The competition featured 11 total teams, including four teams from the top 40. To start off the competition strong, Kristen Chen ’22 and Kaitlyn Lees ’22 shot 4-over on a par 72 course. The two freshmen finished the day tied for 24th and continued their strong performances on day two. Lees finished the second day of competition tied for 31st after scoring a 6-over 78 for the day, while Chen scored an 80 and held her own as she tied for 39th. Moon Cheong ’21 led the charge for the Big Green on day two, sinking 12 pars and a pair of birdies to score a 4-over 76. On day three, the Big Green sunk from 10th place to 11th place after finishing the day with a 318 (+30). The host took first overall with a final score of 882 (+18) over the three day tournament. The competition marked the conclusion of the Big Green’s regular season.

Women's Swimming:

On Friday, the women’s swimming team hosted their first scrimmage of the season against the University of Maine. The meet started out strong, with Dartmouth taking first and second place in the 200-yard relay. The Big Green continued to perform exceptionally, finishing first in every event but diving. Dartmouth’s Zoe Wortzman ’22, Katherine Cane ’21, and Eleanor Zwart ’22 took the top three spots in the 50-yard freestyle. In a similar showing, Cathleen Li ’21, Caroline Poleway ’19 and Hi’ilani Hopkins ’21 claimed first, second and third in the 100-yard butterfly. After the encouraging start, the Big Green looks ahead to its first official meet of the season this Friday against the University of New Hampshire.

Men's Swimming

The men’s swimming team welcomed the University of the Maine for its first scrimmage of the season this Friday and dominated across the board. The Big Green claimed first place in all events except the 200-yard freestyle relay, where they finished in second by a margin of 0.34 seconds. Raymond Neistat ’20 and AJ Krok ’19 earned first and second place in the 1-Meter and 3-Meter Dive. In another great showing, Connor LaMastra ’21, Joe Moll ’22 and Connor Richmond ’22 finished in the top three for the 400 Yard IM. The mix of young and seasoned talent bodes well for the Big Green as the team prepares for its first official meet of the season against the University of New Hampshire later this week.

Lightweight Rowing

On Sunday, the Dartmouth men’s lightweight rowing team competed in the Princeton Chase hosted by Princeton University. In the varsity lightweight 8+ race, the Dartmouth A team took ninth place after a split of 13:44 and the B team followed behind in 20th with a 14:35 finish. In the varsity lightweight 4+ race later in the afternoon, the Big Green’s A team took 13th after recording a time of 15:17.

Sailing

Over the weekend, the sailing team closed out the season in its final two races of the year, competing in the 78th Professor Schell Trophy at Dartmouth and the Victoria Urn Trophy at Bowdoin University. In its first race, the Big Green finished in second place out of 18 teams with 165 points. While the Big Green’s A-team beat Yale by 3 points, the 21 point deficit from the B-team was too much to overcome. At the Victoria Urn Trophy, the Big Green took fifth out of 16 teams with a total of 170 points. The Brown University Bears took the trophy with 108 points, defeating Boston College by 15 points.

Equestrian

On Saturday, the Dartmouth equestrian team placed fourth out of 11 competing teams at the University of New Hampshire. The first place finishers for the day included Margot Putnam ’19 in Walk Trot, Alexa Tucker ’20 in Advanced Walk Trot Canter and Sophie Kylander ’22 in the Advanced Walk Trot Canter. The Big Green is now currently in second place in the regional point standings, trailing the University of Vermont by two points. With two shows left in the season, the Big Green hopes to catch up and overtake Vermont in the standings.

Tucker is a former member of the Dartmouth Senior Staff.