Internal Beta emails leaked

10.09.13.news.beta
10.09.13.news.beta
published

J.K. Trotter, the article's author, said in the post that he found the public group, titled "Beta Alpha Bromega," after researching the fraternity and its possible connection to an Oct. 6 report of sexual assault.

Among the documents was an email to members from Beta president Ned Kingsley '14 addressing Safety and Security director Harry Kinne's campus alert, which noted that a college-aged male not affiliated with Dartmouth may have attended a party at the fraternity before allegedly forcing entry into an undergraduate woman's residence hall and room and sexually assaulting her.

In the email, Kingsley expressed concern for the house's reputation, and reiterated Beta's door policy to new members, who are assigned to check identification cards at the door during the fraternity's events.

"New members we need to be much, much more vigilant about door duty," he said. "Check everyone's I.D. non-Dartmouth students are never allowed in the house unless they have a brother [or] new member who is personally responsible for them (i.e. a friend visiting from another school)."

The documents also included a new member survey with new members' contact details, "favorite sorority," "favorite Pokemon," "favorite type of pornography" and "favorite historical figure."

Gawker published a document with Beta's sink night schedule, which noted that "it should not ever be printed out." The document also instructed members to ensure "All blinds must be drawn ? no windows open ? don't want to be heard yelling," and contained instructions to run the stations that new members were passed through. The stations included rooms with themes such as "Riddles," "Questions about Brothers," "Shitty Music," "Nice Guy Room," and finally "Anarchy," where new members are sprayed with champagne.

The document emphasized that existing members should not force new members to drink.

"Ask them if they're drinking," the document said. "If yes drink when need be. If not, make someone else drink for them."

The guide suggested that existing members monitor the alcohol consumption of new members.

"Be very conscious if some new members are drinking a lot," the document said. "Never allow a new member to take more than one shot at your station. It is not worth the risk."

Beta's alumni trustee Google group was also public until late Tuesday evening. In the group, Beta house advisor Dimitri Gerakaris '69 addressed the alleged connection between the fraternity and the suspect in the Oct. 6 sexual assault. He said the suspect had no connection to Beta and he relayed the public relations advice he gave to Kingsley in response to the "flurry of questions" concerning Beta's mention in the sexual assault alert. The Beta Trustees group was public at the time of the Gawker article's publication, but is now private.

"Hopefully this guy gets revealed soon (but alas no police charges are being brought by the victim) and this sorry chapter ends," he said in an email to Beta's trustees. "It's obvious our guys can be a big part of the solution."

Beta, originally a member of the national organization Beta Theta Pi, was previously derecognized in 1996 for a series of violations of college policy, which resulted in the fraternity being forced to disband for more than a decade. Beta was officially re-recognized in the fall of 2008.

Since returning to campus, Beta has won Greek Letter Organizations and Societies' "Accountability Award," given to the house that "has taken most seriously the need for Dartmouth students to not engage in abusive drinking practices and has consistently self-monitored and re-adjusted."

In response to whether the actions described on bid night could be defined as hazing, College spokesperson Justin Anderson said the College had so far been unaware of the actions mentioned in the documents.

"Violations of the student hazing policy will be subject to individual or organizational disciplinary action," Anderson said. "We will investigate any allegations of hazing we are made aware of."

Gerakaris and undergraduate judicial affairs director Leigh Remy could not be reached for comment by press time. Greek Letter Organizations and Societies director Wes Schaub and representatives from Beta declined to comment.