Alumni return for mini-reunions

10.04.2013.alumnifestivites
10.04.2013.alumnifestivites

Alumni communications director Diana Lawrence said that the College expects about 4,000 alumni and friends this year.

This year, the classes 1982 and 1987 will lead the parade, which includes representatives from nearly all living classes. College President Philip Hanlon and his wife Gail Gentes will also walk, along with the marching band, cheerleaders and 25 sports teams.

Thirty-one class years are also holding mini-reunions over the weekend, setting a new record. Maynard Wheeler '61, who is organizing the Class of 1961's mini-reunion, says his class has a group of 26 members reuniting.

"When we come home to Dartmouth, there's a sense of sameness and welcoming there," Wheeler said. "The Green hasn't changed at all."

Nine Greek houses will also host alumni receptions. Carl Tetirick '70, a member of Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity, said he is most looking forward to seeing his daughter, a 2013 graduate, and attending his fraternity's tailgate reunion.

"Such a high percentage of people who are students at Dartmouth are in the Greek system that it is really what they think of when they come back," Tetirick said.

Tetirick also expressed excitement over the newly-inaugurated president.

"I'm glad to see a graduate of Dartmouth as president," he said. "The relationship between alumni and [the] College is very good."

For several alumni, Homecoming is a time for family members to connect over shared experiences, Krista Corr '86 said.

"My father was a '49, so I've been coming to Homecoming for pretty much my whole life" she said. Corr is helping plan her class's mini-reunion.

Corr said she laments the fact that many members of her class did not begin attending reunions until much later after graduation.

"What I'm finding in my class is that there are a lot more people who have come back the past couple years, mostly because they have kids who are looking at Dartmouth or are going to Dartmouth now," she said. "My big desire is just to have more people come up and enjoy this fun weekend."

Ralph Manuel '58 said the Homecoming experience has changed over the years, especially in regards to freshmen running around the bonfire.

"Nobody expected you to do it every single time," he said. "Now it's a class activity."

Classes that support scholarship programs also get a chance to meet the students whom they helped fund this weekend, and Wheeler said he looks forward to talking to these students, whose participation across campus varies from sports teams to the arts.

Chuck Sherman '66 said his class will meet with the students it supports financially as well, including two interns at the Dickey Center for International Understanding.

"I am also looking forward to meeting '16s, who are invited to a reception with my class in the faculty lounge, where we're having our mini-reunion," he said. "I always enjoy interacting with the undergraduates. That's probably the best part."