Meal swipe, please

freshmenissue.mirror.collis
freshmenissue.mirror.collis

But eateries on campus are just as delicious, and chances are you'll soon find yourself craving Collis pasta, breakfast sandwiches from the Hop and pastries from KAF. Here's an overview that will help you start eating like a pro in no time:

FoCo:

The epicenter of Dartmouth dining culture, FoCo (short for Food Court, but also known as the Class of 1953 Commons) offers an enormous array of food ranging from cereals, pastries, fruit, pancakes and eggs for breakfast to grilled chicken, steak, fish, pizza, salads, paninis and soups for lunch and dinner. There are daily kosher and vegetarian selections, as well as weekly worldly cuisine.

For dessert, the possibilities are endless after dinner Lucky Charm bowls are popular, as are self-made root beer floats and frozen yogurt sundaes with M&Ms and chocolate chip cookies.

Speaking of chocolate chip cookies, FoCo's are always warm, and no one will judge you for eating one or two as you peruse the entre options.

The two main places to eat in FoCo (besides upstairs, which is great for studying on weekend mornings) are the right side when you walk in (more commonly known as the dark, Hogwarts, or athlete side) and the left side (also known as the light, hospital, or NARP side).

FoCo is generally most crowded from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. on weeknights and after 11s and 12s on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Weekend mornings are usually quiet and if you get there before 9 a.m., you'll likely have the place entirely to yourself.

Collis:

Probably the healthiest of all options, the newly renovated eatery is known primarily for stir-fry, pasta and smoothies. All are customizable, and some of the best tricks of the trade including ordering half meat sauce, half Alfredo sauce for your pasta and half soy milk, half guava juice in your smoothie.

The freshly made baked goods, salad bar, ice cream, breakfast sandwiches and soups are also delicious, if somewhat overpriced.

Nonetheless, one of the best deals on campus is offered at Collis for dinner up to three scoops of pasta, garlic bread and a drink for a mere meal swipe.

The salad bar is also a favorite, boasting every type of veggie you could ever want to drown in balsalmic vinaigrette and finishings like craisins and rice noodles. Finding seating in Collis can be difficult, especially when it's too cold outside, but there's nothing better than eating on the porch on a beautiful day.

Indeed, Collis gets insanely crowded right before 9s and 10s and after 11s and 12s. Although the caf is not open on weekends, Late Night Collis is open every night of the week until 1:30 AM and offers mozzarella sticks, baked goods, quesadillas and other delicious munchies.

The Hop:

Despite not opening until 11 a.m., the Hop (or as Dartmouth Dining Services has insisted we call it, The Courtyard Caf) offers breakfast favorites like the Hulk and the Breakfast Bomb to famished students all day long.

There is also a large assortment of made-to-order and pre-made sandwiches, quesadillas, burritos, chicken fingers, muffins, jellos and drinks.

Although not commonly known as a mecca of delicious desserts, the Hop serves up frozen yogurt, cookies and gelatos too.Make sure to come hungry, as the Hop serves portions on the larger side. It is also the perfect spot to eat before a show or sports game, after a long day of skiing, or during a particularly stressful study session when you begin to crave all things salty.

KAF (King Arthur Flour):

A satellite of the original King Arthur Flour, which is located across the river in Norwich, this is a fantastic addition to the array of campus dining options.

Located between Baker and Berry Libraries, KAF, as it is affectionately known to students, offers delicious drinks, quiches, and pastries.

Though KAF no longer serves its beloved sandwiches (RIP brie and apple), the remaining items are fantastic. Cupcakes and iced teas are campus favorites.

You certainly pay the price for quality eats, and students who go negative in DBA are almost always those who frequent KAF. The line at KAF get really long just before and after class, so if you're committed to getting an iced latte and making it to your 11, budget your time accordingly.

The tables and couches next to KAF are great places to take a study break (or work, if you're looking to get some facetime) and the environmentally-conscious business provides multiple composting bins on-site.

Novack:

Perhaps the most convenient breakfast stop for most students on their way to class, Novack offers tons of drinks, fruit cups, wraps, breakfast sandwiches and bagels for those who want a quick and easy meal.

Although the line gets incredibly long for 10 minutes before and after classes, it moves quickly and is almost nonexistent while classes are in session, making the caf a quiet and bright place to study.

Novack is the perfect place to work on group projects and is particularly good at satisfying a sweet tooth, with options ranging from bags of watermelon gummies to chocolate covered espresso beans.

East Wheelock snack bar:

The only eating venue found in a dormitory cluster, the snack bar is perfect for late-night munchies and includes cookies, drinks, frozen meals and more. There are also plenty of quick breakfast options for students who don't want to make the trek to Collis or Novack before class.

Collis Market:

Located in the basement of the building, this is your go-to spot for chips, candy, frozen meals, peanut butter, Nutella and drinks. Make sure to check out their ice cream cakes too, which are perfect for an impromptu birthday celebration, or even for a pick-me-up in the dead of winter.

The market also carries school supplies, toiletries and other odds and ends when the trek to CVS during winter just isn't happening.