Bored at Baker stirs controversy

In the midst of national controversy about privacy and government surveillance, Bored at Baker users' anonymity has been called into question following the revelation that the author of the June 5 Commencement bomb threat was a Dartmouth student. Although campus has yet to receive further information about the investigation of the threat, the finding has spurred many students to reflect on the values of anonymity, security and Bored at Baker's impact on campus.

The threat, which Safety and Security reported to campus the day it was posted, warned that "dirty bombs" would explode if Real Talk Dartmouth members protested at Commencement. At the time, Safety and Security wrote that it was acting out of caution and had "reason to believe the threat is not credible."

Callista Womick '13, who described herself as a casual user of Bored at Baker, said that few people on campus were worried, especially because the author of the post quickly wrote a reply to say the threat was not serious. While some students who did not use the site were "freaked out," Womick said that most were aware of the often exaggerated nature of Bored at Baker posts.

On June 6, Safety and Security director Harry Kinne sent a follow-up alert that said the author of the anonymous threat was a student, though his message did not say whether the individual had been identified.

The College and other authorities took "appropriate and necessary actions" to ensure campus safety, he said in the email. Hanover Police have led the investigation, which has also involved Computing Services and Safety and Security.

Both Kinne and vice president for Information Technology Ellen Waite-Franzen declined to comment due to the ongoing nature of the investigation. Hanover Police captain Frank Moran did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Grafton County Department of Corrections superintendent Glenn Libbey said he was unaware of any arrests made in connection with the investigation.

For many students, the most salient issue in the wake of recent events is not the investigation, but the way in which Bored at Baker affects campus life.

"I think that Bored at Baker has been a rather problematic site recently, but I do think it's important we look into such strong threats," Khori Davis '15 said.

Other students pointed to the dangers of anonymity and said that the site has a negative impact on the community.

Savannah Grice '15 said that when classes were canceled following the Dimensions show protest, many students in her teach-in session called for the site's removal.

Hayley Lynch '15 said that while the "drastic" nature of Bored at Baker comments made it unclear what would be an appropriate response to the threat, the site as a whole should be taken down.

"I don't think it should be allowed," she said. "I think it's a good environment for bad things to happen."

Bored at Baker user and former moderator Aaron Pellowski '15 defended the site's ability to deliver campus news and create dialogue. He added that it is beneficial that students' comments are considered on their own merits, rather than based on who the person is.

Pellowski said that if more students used the site and the moderator system were strengthened, the site would be less problematic.

"Its problems don't warrant its destruction. Its problems warrant its improvement," he said.

Pellowski said that it was "unreasonable" for the threat to be taken as seriously as it was particularly in light of similar posts in the weeks leading up to Commencement but that it was the appropriate action given expectations of campus security.

Jonathan Pappas, who founded Bored at Baker as well as other "Bored at" sites and goes by the alias Jae Daemon, has previously written on his blog about the benefits of Bored at Baker. In a message directed at the author of the bomb, Pappas wrote that, "You are putting yourself and all your online actives under an enormous magnifying glass when you make jokes about bombs, not just on [Bored at Baker] but any website or service. Make no mistake, you will trigger both local and Federal authorities into action, especially in light of recent tragedies."

Pappas considers the site fully anonymous, claiming that it uses "military-grade encryption" so that a government subpoena would not reveal any users' information.

Womick, who laughed upon learning of Pappas' post, said it was unsurprising to hear that the author of the threat was identified as a student.

Computer science professor David Kotz said while anonymity can be valuable and is often worth preserving, it is nearly impossible to create a system that preserves perfect anonymity, as almost any system can be decoded by someone with enough resources and expertise.

Pellowski said he was troubled by the possibility of authorities identifying anonymous users, given the sensitivity of much of the information posted on Bored at Baker. That Safety and Security has identified the author as a student, rather than an alumnus or graduate student, shows that Hanover Police can access some of this personal information, he said.

Davis said he was unconcerned about the investigation.

"I think you're required to take it seriously," Davis said. "I'm glad that they're able to track the person."