Men's hockey team sends two top players to professional circuit

4.10.13.sports.hockey
4.10.13.sports.hockey

"Obviously, we are excited for these guys moving on and wish them all the best," head coach Bob Gaudet said. "They will always be a part of Dartmouth hockey and our family, the Dartmouth family."

Keenan, a defenseman and one of only six players in the history of Dartmouth's program to serve as captain for two seasons, joins the Tigers following a highlight year that saw him set multiple personal records while earning a spot on both the all-Ivy League first team and the all-ECAC second team. For Keenan, the opportunity to play at a higher level is the fulfillment of a long-term goal.

"It's true probably for every guy on our team, it's pretty cool to have a chance to go and play at such a high level and get some experience," Keenan said.

Having already reported to the Tigers, Keenan will split his time between Hanover and Bridgeport, Conn., this spring as he seeks to both make an easy transition into professional hockey and finish the final two classes he needs to earn his diploma this June. Although still balancing schoolwork and hockey, Keenan has transitioned smoothly.

"Hockey-wise, the guys are a lot bigger as a whole, things are just a lot more crisp, guys are always in position," he said. "The speed's a little bit faster as well, but nothing over the top. It's been a pretty good transition."

Even players as well prepared as Keenan and Lindblad will face a transition period as they pursue their professional dreams, said Gaudet, a member of the Class of 1981 who played at Dartmouth before pursuing a professional opportunity with the Winnipeg Jets.

"Professional sports is a different world," he said. "When you come from a place like Dartmouth, with the camaraderie on the team and on campus, the energy involved in playing with your team and for your school is something that really drives you. But when you play at the professional level, it's different. The consistency that they must play with day in and day out is crucial. But I think we've done a good job at preparing a bunch of the guys to making that transition and I'm really proud of that."

One of the Big Green's leading offensive players this season, Lindblad has chosen to forgo his senior season to join the Bruins and pursue a life-long dream. Over the course of his career with the Big Green, Lindblad skated in 89 games, and registered 29 goals and 51 assists.

"As a kid, [my] dream has always been to make it as far as [I] can go and to play in the NHL," Lindblad said. "Boston has expressed a lot of interest in me and this is an opportunity I just couldn't pass up. Part of me feels like it's a dream come true, but I have a lot more on my mind and a lot more I want to get accomplished."

Lindblad needs 12 more credits to graduate and plans to finish the courses he is currently enrolled in this spring. He will enroll during future summers in order to graduate.

"I wouldn't have come to Dartmouth if I wasn't going to pursue a degree," Lindblad said.

Reflecting on the contributions of both players to the Dartmouth program over the last few years, Gaudet had nothing but praise for Keenan and Lindblad.

"Mike played four years for Dartmouth and just did an incredible job as a leader," Gaudet said. "For him to sign with Bridgeport and have the chance to play with them post-season has been a big step for him, and I think he is gaining a lot of valuable experience which is going to help him when he goes to training camp next year in the fall. Matt is an outstanding player and a great representative of our team both on and off the ice. I'm happy for him and wish him all the best in professional hockey."

Moving on to next season, Gaudet said that while both Keenan and Libnlad would be missed, their absence will challenge other players to rise to their full potential.

"By great players leaving, it creates opportunities for other guys," Gaudet said.