Katie Van Syckle
The Setonian
Arts

Oopik's 'The Butcher's Bargain' draws stares in Hop

"What is it?!" a brown-haired girl in Patagonia exclaimed with her face pressed against the glass, "I don't get it!" "Oh," she shrugged in exasperated distaste, "It's aaart." That's right folks -- Christo's saffron show in Gotham City maybe over, but for now, Dartmouth's very own Hopkins Center features the ever divisive, ever incendiary "Butcher's Bargain." "The Butcher's Bargain," by Krista Oopik '05 has received much attention in the past week.

The Setonian
Sports

Getting to Know... (Kind of)

Following in the footsteps of such journalistic luminaries as David Klein, Rebecca Leffler and Mark Sweeney, The Dartmouth's Katie Van Syckle cops Sweeney's style and asks the questions that others have too much professionalism or integrity to ask.

The Setonian
News

Experts: Symptom length indicates depression

You find no motivation to open a textbook, interact with friends or get out of bed. Are you depressed? According to mental health experts, the answer is maybe -- depending on the duration and intensity of such symptoms. While it is sometimes hard to determine what behavior is normal and what behavior should prompt concern, counselors say there is an important, although sometimes complicated, distinction between going through a rut and being depressed. "Depression is an illness, having a bad day isn't," said Dr. Michael Hertzberg Ph.D., a psychiatrist based in Alexandria, Virginia.

The Setonian
Arts

First DTV 'Kiss' is memorable

With lines like "I'll give you a blitz and maybe we could get a meal or something," "Kiss and Tell," Imago Media's latest production for DTV, is an entertaining spotlight on taboo themes at the heart of Dartmouth's dating scene. The hilarious opening scene of the series premiere, which features Jay Kaplan '02 and Elenor Sigler '01 seducing one another in the Berry stacks, successfully introduces the quandary that arises throughout the episode: Is it possible to find love at Dartmouth? The show also explores how far a student has to go to find that love. In the style of the hit HBO series "Sex in the City," "Kiss and Tell" revolves around the lives of four single '03 women, who in their quest to find love at Dartmouth, must deal with the non-sensical realities of dating at the Big Green. The first episode, titled "Great Sexpectations and Good Vibrations," looks specifically at whether or not it is possible for upperclass women to date underclass men. The characters of this Dartmouth production successfully parallel those found in "Sex in the City." Maya, who is wonderfully played by Wendy Liu '02, is more or less the Carrie Bradshaw of "Kiss and Tell." Sitting at her computer, Maya drives the story line with insightful comments and personal experiences that delve into the dilemmas at hand. Alex, played by Rachel Globus '02, is the Miranda-like character.

The Setonian
Arts

Ryan Adams' latest album closer to bronze than 'Gold'

Approximately a year after the release of his solo debut, "Heartbreaker," Ryan Adams is back on the scene with his new double album, "Gold." Adams, not to be confused with the '80s rocker Bryan Adams, was first noted on the music scene as a member of the country band Whiskeytown.

More articles »