Debora Hyemin Han
The Setonian
News

Trustees approve site for new dorm building

The Board of Trustees approved three projects in its fall meeting, including the construction of a 350-bed dormitory at the intersection of Crosby and East Wheelock streets, across from Topliff Hall and next to the Alumni Gymnasium, where three tennis courts and House Center A, commonly known as “the Onion,” currently stand. The new residence hall, if approved, will create the “swing space” needed for the College to house undergraduates while existing dormitories undergo renovation, as well as potentially hold a new Housing Community in the future, according to Board of Trustees chair Laurel Richie ’81.

The Setonian
News

James Mattis speaks to government class

Combining matters of foreign policy with a message of citizen involvement, United States Secretary of Defense James Mattis delivered remarks to around 200 Dartmouth students, faculty and staff on Friday, speaking about his goals as Secretary of Defense and making a call to action that reaffirmed citizens’ role as the “connective tissue” between the military and “other parts of democracy” in the United States. The private event at the Black Family Visual Arts Center, organized by former College president James Wright, Trustee Emeritus Peter Robinson ’79 and Director of the John Sloan Dickey Center for International Understanding and former U.S.

The Setonian
News

College signs amicus brief supporting consideration of race in admissions

Dartmouth aligned itself with the Ivy League and nine other private universities in the growing legal battle between Students for Fair Admission and Harvard University, co-filing an amicus brief over the summer reaffirming the need to maintain considerations of race in admissions. SFFA launched the federal lawsuit against Harvard in 2014, alleging that Harvard has an unconstitutional racial quota that caps its number of admitted Asian students, as well as a racial balancing policy that was outlawed by the U.S.

More articles »

James Mattis interacted briefly with the public after giving his remarks at the Black Family Visual Arts Center on Friday, September 21.
PHOTO

Community members held signs as they gathered on the Green to protest the Trump administration's immigration policies.
PHOTO

More media »