Well, I’m finally a Dartmouth senior, and my younger brother is finally a freshman (at Princeton though, ew). Talking to him made me realize just how much a person can change during their first three years of college. Leading up to his first day, he claimed that he would never drink coffee. I naively said the same when I entered my freshman year—but then I discovered KAF. Here’s my take on just how different freshmen and seniors really are.
1. Housing How your room looks as a freshman:
How your room looks as a senior:
2. Dating Freshman: Time to find my rich Ivy League spouse and be set for life!
Senior: Maybe there’ll be someone cute at work?
3. Arriving on campus Arriving on campus your freshman year:
Arriving on campus your senior year:
4. Looking for a job Freshman: A job? You’ve got 4 more years before you have to worry about that.
Senior: You have a crisis when CPD tells you that “only” 10 percent of seniors have already secured jobs.
5. Your tolerance for smart people Freshman: You are super excited to be surrounded by so many smart people.
Senior: You’re perfectly happy being average. Average is good. Average is great.
6. Your tolerance for people in general Freshman: You go to Foco at 6:30 to be seen.
Senior: You go to Foco at 5 if you even decide to go outside.
7. Picking classes Freshman: You have no idea what to take. There are SO many classes to choose from!
Senior: Nope, median’s too low. Can’t NRO it? There’s nothing for you to take.
8. Getting dressed Freshmen: Have to look nice for class. Have to look nice going out.
Senior: Gym clothes are comfy. And people will think you actually go to the gym.
9. The number of clubs you sign up for Freshman: You are on a million Listservs after the Activities Fair.
Senior: Who needs responsibilities when you can nap instead?
10. Your ability to get accepted to things Freshmen: You still can’t believe you got into Dartmouth!
Senior: At least you got into Dartmouth.
11. Your feelings about the meal plan Freshmen: Foco! Foco! Foco!
Senior: Have you tried everything on the Hop menu yet?
12. How ready you are to grow up Freshmen: *Starts first first day of college*