The Best Shows to Watch on Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime

By Anna Staropoli | 1/28/16 4:53am

Hulu:

Jane the Virgin (2014-present)

Golden Globe winner Gina Rodriguez portrays Jane Villanueva, a twenty-something year old virgin who is accidentally artificially inseminated and must deal with all the baggage the pregnancy brings. As a mock-telenovela, this show offers crazy, unpredictable moments entirely unlike anything else on television. A love triangle, a sassy narrator and a murder mystery make “Jane the Virgin” a necessity for anyone looking to be entertained.

Casual (2015- present)

“Casual” depicts the lives of a recently divorced woman and her brother as they navigate the ups-and-downs of casual dating while also caring for her teenager daughter. This show is funny and modern, portraying the intricacies of both familial and romantic relationships.

Honorable Mentions:

• Parks & Recreation (also on Netflix)

• Arrested Development (also on Netflix)

• Community

Netflix:

The Newsroom (2012-2014)

A more serious depiction of broadcast journalism than Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy” (2004), “The Newsroom” offers a sharp look into the life of Will McAvoy, an unapologetic anchorman who attempts to redefine the workings of his newsroom and balance the changes that arise with an alteration in production. Touching on important issues and real events while simultaneously portraying fictional drama, “The Newsroom” is highly recommended.

The Vampire Diaries (2009- present)

We all thought the vampire craze ended with “Twilight” (2008). But apparently vampires are making a comeback (just look at Lady Gaga in “American Horror Story: Hotel” (2015)). Fortunately, the CW is still airing new episodes of “The Vampire Diaries,” a guilty-pleasure drama that follows an entirely ordinary girl who literally gets sucked into the lives of two estranged vampire brothers. Yes, vampire dramas are overdone, but if you’re looking for something with drama, pretty people and suspense, look no further.

Honorable Mentions:

• Freaks & Geeks

• The X-Files

• Bob’s Burgers

• Jessica Jones

• Sherlock

• Dexter

• The Twilight Zone

• Breaking Bad (of course)

Amazon Prime:

Red Oaks (2015 - present)

A coming-of-age story, “Red Oaks” follows David, a college student working at a country club the summer before his junior year. David must find a balance between enjoying one of the final summers of his adolescence and planning for a future that will please both himself and his parents. As a comedy set in the ‘80s, “Red Oaks” guarantees both fun music and big hair.

Life Unexpected (2010)

Perhaps one of the more underrated and short-lived shows on the CW, “Life Unexpected” follows Lux Cassidy, a foster child who unites with her birth parents after seeking legal emancipation. Over two seasons, Lux becomes immersed into an entirely new world, changing both her own life and the lives of her parents — neither of whom have spoken since high school — in the process. Dramatic and poignant, “Life Unexpected” is unexpectedly a must-watch.

Honorable Mentions:

• Transparent

• Mozart in the Jungle

• Orphan Black

• Workaholics

• Veep

Anna Staropoli